Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 gal stand & canopy build

Hey everyone,

doing a build of a 120 gal stand & canopy. I am revolving the set up around the finished doors... the stand and canopy will be in a maple wood with a bead bit accent for molding the canopy which will match the doors [ stain and design ] ....the stand is ready for finishing and will start the canopy this weekend. front and sides open for easy access to the sump. will add pictures of the process as I go

Hope everyone had a AWESOME thanksgiving!!

BUELLER

PB270448.jpgPB270450.jpgPB270451.jpgPB270452.jpgPB270453.jpgPB270454.jpgPB270455.jpgPB270456.jpg
    FBN WOODWORKS
    www.fbnwoodworks.com

Nice job. What kind of joinery is holding it together? Biscuits, dowels, mortise and tenon?
    DOWNSTAIRS display tanks:
    20g - 1 yellow Glowfish, 1 long-fin Danio and 3 Cherry Barbs
    37g - 3 Zebra Danios, 5 Red Serpae Tetras, Dwarf Flame Gourami and Red Tail Shark
    10g - single male Betta (daughters responsibility)
    UPSTAIRS research/quarantine tanks:
    10g - mosquitofish tank awaiting rebuild
    20g - heavily fake planted housing 8 Dwarf Gourami RIP Blue, Flame and unnamed
    20g - empty tank with beautiful black Tahitian moon sand
    10g - hospital sterilized and dry :-)
    5.5g - fry tank with mosquitofish born 1 Mar 2012

Comment

thanks, kreg tool

Innovative Solutions for all of your Woodworking and DIY Project Needs
      FBN WOODWORKS
      www.fbnwoodworks.com

Comment

finished the matching canopy today! the set is ready for finishing, it will match the doors, I also added 2-3 in boards along the back of the stand so ya can't see the plumbing when it's all set up [ won't be a reef ready tank: here's a few pictures:

BUELLER

PC100458.jpgPC100459.jpgPC100461.jpgPC100462.jpgPC100464.jpgPC100466.jpg
        FBN WOODWORKS
        www.fbnwoodworks.com

Comment

Nice work. Thats a lot of work in an aquarium stand. love the canopy and the way it opens. The Kregtool is a great tool.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Im impressed! very nice!
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank
            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by BUELLER View Post
              thanks, kreg tool

http://www.kregtool.com/
              Thanks, I've been looking pretty hard at one of those. Nice work on the canopy and I like the idea of the side panel extensions to hide the mess. Do they have hinges or are they fixed in place?
              37g - 3 Zebra Danios, 5 Red Serpae Tetras, Dwarf Flame Gourami and Red Tail Shark

Comment

they are fixed with screws...can be removed if need be.

Bueller
                FBN WOODWORKS
                www.fbnwoodworks.com

Comment

Very nice

Comment

how much would you charge to build one stand and top for a 75

Comment

That's pretty cool. Can you share how the top of the base is put together? Is it a rectangular frame with the bottom rabbited on the inside to sit on top of the pocket-screwed box? I'm trying to come up with a lighter, but strong, framework for my next stand project.

Comment

Originally posted by 50cal17 View Post
                        Hes in ny
                        210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
                        125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
                        10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

in pine, pending how fancy ya want to get [ raised panel sides, crown molding ] $300 unfinished & picked up , not including shipping...will be cheaper when I get to Texas....By the way I'm offically a TEXAS resident!! I closed on my home this past Friday...Giddy Up!

That's pretty cool. Can you share how the top of the base is put together? Is it a rectangular frame with the bottom rabbited on the inside to sit on top of the pocket-screwed box? I'm trying to come up with a lighter, but strong, framework for my next stand project.
                          The whole base stand is kreg'd together with glue...no rabbit's . I normally use 3 1/2 in. stiles & rails for the face frame, but this build I had to work around the finished doors so I had to go with 1 7/8 stiles which is still ok for weight displacement. As I tell alot of people, as long as the corner's for the tank you are building is sitting vertical with the stiles [ up to 48in. wide ] you can build it without a center support. I feel anything over a 4ft span I would put a center support.

hope this help's any other question's let me know

Bueller
                          Last edited by BUELLER; 12-13-2011, 09:05 PM.
                          FBN WOODWORKS
                          www.fbnwoodworks.com

Comment

here's a $500 canopy I did [raised panel & crown molding ] in pine unfinished & picked up :

P3026946.jpgP3026948.jpgP3026949.jpgP3026952.jpgP3026955.jpg
                            Last edited by BUELLER; 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM.
                            FBN WOODWORKS
                            www.fbnwoodworks.com

Comment

When will you be moving to houston?
                              210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
                              125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
                              10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

Working...
                              X