invertebrates in a FW planted refugium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• invertebrates in a FW planted refugium

So I recently installed a 20Gal planted refuguim for my African Cichlid 55g tank for purposes of keeping my plants alive and also for natural filtration, which is doing great, plants are growing and already my nitrates are more stable, now I was thinking on adding invertebrates to the refugium, like shrimp but not sure if it will defeat the purpose or can the shrimp live from the detritus of the plants?

I would do nerites since there are some nice ornamental looking ones. Amano shrimp and I would think red cherry shrimp bought locally could handle the water params.

You could get fancy and find some orange dwarf crays!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

which LFS will carry those, basically any ?

Comment

The crays? None that I've seen
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Seen em on the northside. FM 2920 area

Comment

crayfish create alot of waste. They also like to burrow, which would be really bad for your plants. I'm not sure, but the crayfish might just eat the plants out-right.

I would go with amano shrimp (algae eater), cherry shrimp (detritus eater), nerite snails (everything eater). I know tim (armthehomeless) was selling some horned nerite snails that would be cool. Someone else on here was selling a ton of cherry shrimp for cheap, though most stores will carry cherries.
            75 planted (Being Renovated)
            Endlers
            gobies
            lots of nanos

Comment

Since I am to far from the LFS and just to go and get me shrimp i just went and get me ghost shrimp and 3 mystery snails and they are doing great, the shrimp are always eating plant matter since the bellies are always green the snails I am sure they are too, on one of the trips to the LFS i will get me some cherry the only thing is that can they mix with the ghost?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken mystery snails eat plants. I could be wrong through.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I am keeping an eye on that, most part I have seen they are eating the decaying parts, but if they are eating them they are not doing the damage that the mbuna's were doing.

Comment

Yeah, the mystery snails will eat plants, and the ghost shrimp are short-lived shrimp at best. Amanos would be the best option, but you can get just about any other shrimp. Red Cherry Shrimp are very popular and will breed, as well. I'd get rid of the mystery snails and consider getting nerite snails instead. Amanos and nerites would be a nice combination. You can have both shipped in very easily.
                    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
                    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
                    • 29g Planted - Journal
                    • 29g Planted
                    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Originally posted by Sea-agg09 View Post
                      crayfish create alot of waste. They also like to burrow, which would be really bad for your plants. I'm not sure, but the crayfish might just eat the plants out-right.

I would go with amano shrimp (algae eater), cherry shrimp (detritus eater), nerite snails (everything eater). I know tim (armthehomeless) was selling some horned nerite snails that would be cool. Someone else on here was selling a ton of cherry shrimp for cheap, though most stores will carry cherries.
                      Orange crays dont eat plants
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you wanted to go with the orange dwarf crays I'm sure fishrancher posted that he just got some in at the Fish Ranch. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Comment

He in fact did but someone managed to scoop up the bulk of them. I went in today and took home what was left
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                            He in fact did but someone managed to scoop up the bulk of them. I went in today and took home what was left

And I almost wondered why you didn't mention it first.

Comment

Wouldn't be no use mentioning, lol!
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X