X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks awesome! So exciting. :)
    All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I had firefish as the only fish in old-design of an 8gal biocube. They were timid the first day in the tank, but after they got comfortable with my rockwork, I never see them again.

Some have say they don't see them for months in their larger reef setups. Just remember to feed the tank so food gets moved to hidden rock areas if you don't see them.

I lost sight of my first one after 3 weeks, and I stopped feeding. It popped up on week 4, and I fed it some flakes, but I never saw my first firefish again--it eventually subcummed to starvation from my lack of feeding. (I hate putting food that will be uneaten in my tank with a fear of rising algae or nitrates).

The second one I got was accustomed in aquarium, and it was less shy. However, after 2 days, it preferred to hide in my rock works. It came out for a few seconds for food, but it jumped in my sump and died. (bad design of older biocubes. it needs a fish guarde like the ones in new ones.) These guys like to jump and carpet surf--so i is good that you have a hood in your biocube.

I missed the nice looking fire fish, but I may try a gobie in a single fish system.

-KyleH

Originally posted by dhutch View Post
      Had a little scare last night. When I left for dinner the FF was fine, swimming around. I came home and poof she was gone! Did a little research and found out these little critters are excellent Hide and Go Seek players!!!!! She didn't reappear until this afternoon when I turned the pump off for feeding time, and woooooosh she appeared from the one rock cave I can't see into! Feeding time is over and she has retreated back to the cave. Apparently they can be shy for a short period of time before they feel comfortable freely swimming the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleH View Post
        I had firefish as the only fish in old-design of an 8gal biocube. They were timid the first day in the tank, but after they got comfortable with my rockwork, I never see them again.

Some have say they don't see them for months in their larger reef setups. Just remember to feed the tank so food gets moved to hidden rock areas if you don't see them.

I lost sight of my first one after 3 weeks, and I stopped feeding. It popped up on week 4, and I fed it some flakes, but I never saw my first firefish again--it eventually subcummed to starvation from my lack of feeding. (I hate putting food that will be uneaten in my tank with a fear of rising algae or nitrates).

The second one I got was accustomed in aquarium, and it was less shy. However, after 2 days, it preferred to hide in my rock works. It came out for a few seconds for food, but it jumped in my sump and died. (bad design of older biocubes. it needs a fish guarde like the ones in new ones.) These guys like to jump and carpet surf--so i is good that you have a hood in your biocube.

I missed the nice looking fire fish, but I may try a gobie in a single fish system.

-KyleH
        He was fine after the first night. Then I picked up a Ocellaris clown and Snowflake clown from a member here for a good deal. He became shy again with the new tank mates. I figure he'll venture out again after he becomes accustomed to the clowns.

On a better note, the clowns have taken nicely to the tank. They love swimming through the rocks, and always greet me when I come up to the glass. I'll post some pictures later.
        We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Here we go:
          Attached Files
          We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Where the corals at?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

love the snowflake, nice pickup

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                Where the corals at?
                In due time my good friend. Next week we'll add a bulb anemone for the two clowns then a week or two later we'll get some sort of brightly covered polyps. I haven't begun doing my research on corals just yet.
                Last edited by dhutch; 10-09-2011, 07:15 PM.
                We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

I got another tanks that is a 28g jbj cube with 2 maroon clowns, and for any beginner to this hobby, clowns are the *best* fish. They are highly recognizable from Disney/Pixar, rather hardy, colorfull, aggressive feeders and eat about anything, and seldom shy--especially when they know you are about to feed them.

However, you may want to watch out for your firefish, clowns have a tendacy of eating everything in site and very fast. Your firefish may not get a chance for food, and the clowns can be somewhat aggressive. The ocellaris are the least aggressive, but they can still be cranky to other fish.

-KyleH
                  Last edited by KyleH; 10-09-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

That is a great approach to this hobby to research your livestock before you get them. I do not think the stock CF hood in the biocube is sufficient for healthy growth in anemone's such as BTA. Also, keep in mind that clowns do not *need* a nem to survive in a home tank. (but, they sure look happy to host one, though). Nem's are also notorious of being cranky and move around, possibly eat, sting, or smother other corals when trying to find the right spot--others have discovered a nem-smoothie when they make a mis-step into pump, filter, or skimmer.

If that did not dissuade you, double check a table out there that describes which kind of nem is compatible for certain clown to host. I think most clowns host BTA's, but I forget.

-KyleH

Originally posted by dhutch View Post
                    In due time my good friend. Next week we'll add a bulb anemone for the two clowns then a week or two later we'll get some sort of brightly covered polyps. I haven't begun doing my research on corals just yet.

Comment

Definitely going to research my nems before I purchase one. The owner of the LFS here in Atascocita says the Bulb is a fine if you introduce it to the tank first. It will move around until it finds a spot it likes(Just gotta make sure I don't change my flow direction in the tank with my powerhead later on).

The comment about the clowns being aggressive eaters is so true! The snowflake LOVES feeding time. He gobbles up 5-6 pellets super quick then the bigger Ocellaris cleans up after the little one. The two move around the tang together getting along great. Hopefully down the road I can look into breeding them, but that's months if not a year or so down the road. I'm going to have to start using my large turkey baster to introduce the food under the rock where the Firefish hides. The first day they ate together the FF tried to grab some food but the snowflake would swoop in and grab it, then the FF got skitish and went hiding again. =/

Originally posted by KyleH View Post
                      That is a great approach to this hobby to research your livestock before you get them. I do not think the stock CF hood in the biocube is sufficient for healthy growth in anemone's such as BTA. Also, keep in mind that clowns do not *need* a nem to survive in a home tank. (but, they sure look happy to host one, though). Nem's are also notorious of being cranky and move around, possibly eat, sting, or smother other corals when trying to find the right spot--others have discovered a nem-smoothie when they make a mis-step into pump, filter, or skimmer.

If that did not dissuade you, double check a table out there that describes which kind of nem is compatible for certain clown to host. I think most clowns host BTA's, but I forget.

-KyleH
                      We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Those clown shots are awesome
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                          Those clown shots are awesome
                          Thanks! It's a pain staking process to sit and wait for a decent shot. A "good" shot is almost impossible to get if you want two fish in the same photo.
                          We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Well I went rock re-arranging today........

FF bit the dust...I guess he was just too scared to come out and eat with the clown's in the tank.

I really don't have a need for two clowns. Would removing the larger Ocellaris clown make things easier on future fish added to the community? He's probably 2-2.5" in length.
                            We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Here we go ladies and gents! Bulb Anemone!!!! Beauty under the acitinic light and moonlight LED's. I tried to snap a photo under the moonlight LEDs but I need to turn pumps off and get a good setting for the 40D with that low light. It needs like a 3 second shutter speed.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dhutch; 10-12-2011, 12:46 AM.
                              We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

You gotta be careful. Most anemones require a mature tank to survive. They'll be OK for awhile then slowly start to suffer

Comment

Working...
                                X