Hutch's 29G Biocube (Updated 10/27)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hutch's 29G Biocube (Updated 10/27)

Ok been waiting on tons of stuff to come in from various vendors/sources/LFS. The Biocube 29 is officially up and running!!! The final piece arrived this afternoon and I put it together and started assembling the rest of the tank.

We have a 29G Biocube with Oceanic stand. Running the stock pump, with Oceanic UV sterilizer, inTank Media Rack, intank Fuge, and Aqueon Pro 100W heater. In the tank itself is 30lbs of live sand and 15lbs of Fiji Live Rock and 2lbs of Manado LR.

Tomorrow we'll add a table shrimp to start the cycle and then the wait begins!

Adding water...
    IMG_2181.jpg
    Media Rack with filter floss, Chemi-Pure and Purigen
    IMG_2182.jpg
    Fuge with chaeto.
    IMG_2183.jpg
    10w Fuge light, UV Sterilizer and Powerhead. (Note: The UV Sterilizer and Powerhead are not in use yet.)
    IMG_2189.jpg
    All tucked in. Waiting for the sand to clear.
    IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    Chamber 1: 100W Aqueon Pro Heater
    Chamber 2: Media Rack and Fuge
    Chamber 3: Pump and UV Sterilizer
    IMG_2196.jpg
    Last edited by dhutch; 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM.
    We got de Hooch baby!

Looks good!

Comment

Glad to see you are up and running.

Comment

Nice!
        All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

We'll aquascape tomorrow and I'll post up a clear picture.
          We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Why did you get such a cheap set up?

No elos?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Yeah, the setup looks great. I've been wanting one of these.
              30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

My out of pocket expenses for EVERYTHING was right at $300.....It pays to find good deals, that's for sure. The LR was probably the most expensive purchase out of everything!

I did see a group of teeny tiny baby shrimp scurrying around the sand bed this morning. No larger than 1/8" each.
                We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Wanted to give the future inhabitants a ton of passageways to swim through or hide in.
                  Attached Files
                  We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Wow! Perhaps the conversion to SW isn't so far away for me then. That's a great deal for what you have so far. Looks nice too. Keep sharing as you set it up! :)

Comment

Originally posted by aquabee View Post
                      Wow! Perhaps the conversion to SW isn't so far away for me then. That's a great deal for what you have so far. Looks nice too. Keep sharing as you set it up! :)
                      bee keep an eye out on craigslist for used biocubes; they can be had for a really good price. I added some things that aren't completely necessary but will make life easier in the long run. Your stock BC with standard filter and bioballs will sustain a FOWLR tank with no problem, so long you do your water changes on a regular basis. Not the most efficient or high-tech way of doing things, but it def. works. The thing I liked about the BC was its sleek design with all the workings hidden in the back, and it came with a stock light setup that could support most corals. It was def. an all-in-one package.

The expensive part is acquiring LR and live sand. The sand, you are always better to go with new live sand. The LR, you can get from just about anywhere. There are plenty of members on here who offered up LR for a great price, but the LFS had some beautiful rock, and they cut me a pretty good deal.

When it comes time for fish...well there are endless types, prices, and sources for those.
                      We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Originally posted by dhutch View Post
                        bee keep an eye out on craigslist for used biocubes; they can be had for a really good price. I added some things that aren't completely necessary but will make life easier in the long run. Your stock BC with standard filter and bioballs will sustain a FOWLR tank with no problem, so long you do your water changes on a regular basis. Not the most efficient or high-tech way of doing things, but it def. works. The thing I liked about the BC was its sleek design with all the workings hidden in the back, and it came with a stock light setup that could support most corals. It was def. an all-in-one package.

The expensive part is acquiring LR and live sand. The sand, you are always better to go with new live sand. The LR, you can get from just about anywhere. There are plenty of members on here who offered up LR for a great price, but the LFS had some beautiful rock, and they cut me a pretty good deal.

When it comes time for fish...well there are endless types, prices, and sources for those.
                        Yep, I've seen a bunch of nice looking biocubes on sale on various websites... It's just a matter of having the time and energy. I'll get into it fairly soon, maybe in a year or so. I've already started trying to learn the language and the equipment, so I appreciate the info! Love watching new tanks develop, esp SW.

Comment

Okay so the last 2 weeks have been fun. Watching levels go up and down then bottom out. Tank is aging nicely with visible algae growth. I've since added a small cleanup crew. 3 snails and 4 dwarf hermits. 1 of the snails is a Turbo and I forget what the other 2 are. The turbo is fun to watch blaze around the rocks. The hermits are a blast to watch scavenge the rocks and sand bed.

Today I added my first fish. My old man bought me an Orange Firefish from Aquarium World? He got the bug now and is doing his research to setup a 90G FOWLR tank. Going to fun playing with dad's money ). Here are some pictures of our progress.

Oh and the picture with the little square. About a week ago a tiny little dead crab must have fell out of my manando live rock...curious little guy.(To bad he was already a goner when I saw him)

IMG_2241-S.jpgIMG_2240-S.jpgIMG_2247-S.jpgIMG_2249-S.jpgIMG_2251-S.jpgIMG_2216-S.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dhutch; 10-08-2011, 10:45 PM.
                          We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Looking good, glad to see you are on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
                              Looking good, glad to see you are on your way.
                              Had a little scare last night. When I left for dinner the FF was fine, swimming around. I came home and poof she was gone! Did a little research and found out these little critters are excellent Hide and Go Seek players!!!!! She didn't reappear until this afternoon when I turned the pump off for feeding time, and woooooosh she appeared from the one rock cave I can't see into! Feeding time is over and she has retreated back to the cave. Apparently they can be shy for a short period of time before they feel comfortable freely swimming the tank.
                              We got de Hooch baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X