Brackish Plants; list and review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brackish Plants; list and review

My goal is to make this a sticky for people to reference in the future. I'm tired of brackish setups being boring with the same old fish with some rocks. I'm hoping we can raise the bar a bit on keeping these interesting fish. I'm going to make a list of plants that will survive in brackish water. Here's what I've come up with so far;

Red Mangrove - Rhizophora mangle
    Shoal Grass - Halidule wrightii
    Turtle Grass - Thalasia testudinium
    Java Moss
    Java Fern - Microsorium pteropus
    Giant Hygrophila - Hygrophila corymbosa
    Anubias sp. - most species
    Anacharis - yep...
    Hornwart aka coontail
    Sagittaria subtilata
    Vallisneria sp.

I've tried to list plants from most salt tolerant to least salt tolerant, as far as I know. The whole middle section is pretty much a toss-up.
    Plant ppl out there, are certain anubias more sensitive to salt than others? I also need some help with the Vals.

For people really looking for a nice planted tank, I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with CO2 in a brackish tank. Based on the hardness/CO2 chart, you should be able to put a bunch of CO2 into the water before you effect the pH.
    Last edited by Sea-agg09; 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

This is relevant to my interests. It would open up a whole new avenue of possibilities for my Planted/Puffer tank.
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

I would actually suggest going towards Galveston and collecting some various plants from actual brackish estuaries. I bet there are a wide variety that no aquarists have access to and would be something very original. I know everyone who kept brackish tanks across the country would clamor for some interesting native plants that actually prefer brackish and not just survive in it.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

the problem is that most brackish plants native to here are usually emergent, and excrete salt through pores open to the air. things like Spartina, Distichilis, and Phragmites are all like that. I will have to digging around a bit and see what I pull up.

I forgot to add hornwort to the list. It's native and does survive quite well in brackish water ...updated.
        Last edited by Sea-agg09; 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
        X