No announcement yet.

450 gallon setup. HELP NEEDED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will that stand support the 4000+ pounds that tank is going to weigh in at?
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Sorry for late reply on this thread. OP, listen to darbex's advice. He has a big sw tank and has the direct exp to help you.
      Regarding cost, honestly a big tank is not that expensive if set up a certain way. First, you do not need all 400 pounds of LR at once so you can add over time. Second, Lighting also does not have to be expensive if you pick the right corals and placement.

I have around 5k worth of stuff on my 18g tank. It all just depends how you want to set your tank up. Don't let cost deter you from setting this tank up. There are ways to limit cost greatly.

Remember, big is always better in reef systems. It allows for a greater margin of error.
      Last edited by myjohnson; 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        Sorry for late reply on this thread. OP, listen to darbex's advice. He has a big sw tank and has the direct exp to help you.
        Regarding cost, honestly a big tank is not that expensive if set up a certain way. First, you do not need all 400 pounds of LR at once so you can add over time. Second, Lighting also does not have to be expensive if you pick the right corals and placement.

I have around 5k worth of stuff on my 18g tank. It all just depends how you want to set your tank up. Don't let cost deter you from setting this tank up. There are ways to limit cost greatly.

Remember, big is always better in reef systems. It allows for a greater margin of error.
        Look at what Darbex has and ask him about the cost is good advice.

How can you say it costs 5k for you to set up a 18G tank and it does not cost much for him to set up a 450G?
        Sure you can cut corner, what kind of tank do you think he will get?

Look at the tank he has, that has to be 3 ft deep. It's gonna take serious lighting unless he wants to keep corals that do not need lights!

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
          How can you say it costs 5k for you to set up a 18G tank and it does not cost much for him to set up a 450G?
          Because Thai like many of us (myself included) go for overkill. Like buying Vortech powerheads when Koralias for a fraction of the cost would work just as well, or shooting for 20 times per hour turnover when 10 will do. We choose to exceed the established standard because we can and we want to not because it is necessary.
          120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
          180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm not trying to show off or anything. Ready my tank journal you will see what I have on my set-up.

A cheap nano can be 20 bucks. An expensive one... Sky is the limit.

Same applies to big tanks. OP already got the tank. He wants to start with fish and LR only.

He can slowly add to that over time. Lights, coral type, and coral placement is determinative on what he can do with corals. If he has corals on LR with the magnet base he can grow corals high up close to the light. This is just one way among many that will allow Op to grow coral in relative low light for this tank.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

As for water, I agree with nightster, RO would be OK for a FOWLR tank as it can get you down pretty far on the TDS - total disolved solids. RO/DI will have 0-1 TDS, vs less than 50 for RO, while regular tap water can have maybe 200+ TDS. But if you want to eventually put in corals, it is best to know that there are no things in the water that would affect them negatively. Think of it like germs on your hands. They might be clean enough to eat with, but they could have harmful bacteria. It is best to wash them first to be safer.

I started with ten 5 gallon buckets of RO water from my LFS when I started my tank. I would not even try to think about transporting 400+ gallons! That is why a $150-200 filter would be worth it IMO. With that much at stake, I would not risk it to "save" a few bucks. You might regret it later.

Good luck!

Comment

Vic hit me up next week and I will see when you can come by and take a look. Not including my tank and stand my total cost to start my tank was about 1.5K. I bought most of my stuff used or from ADG. The most expensive items where my MP60 and the LR both cost about $600 (This is equipment only). This also includes an RO/DI unit and a 175G storage container. But my tank is FOWLR, it was just to expensive to set-up a reef in that size tank or at least to do it the way I would have wanted to.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

The Stand is upside down. 2x8 frame is on top.

Comment

And also place plywood and foam on top of the stand as it's a rimless tank.

Comment

I'm not trying to show off or anything. Ready my tank journal you will see what I have on my set-up.

Same applies to big tanks. OP already got the tank. He wants to start with fish and LR only.

He can slowly add to that over time. Lights, coral type, and coral placement is determinative on what he can do with corals. If he has corals on LR with the magnet base he can grow corals high up close to the light. This is just one way among many that will allow Op to grow coral in relative low light for this tank.
                      $20 on a nano?
                      You mean a 10g , a tiny HOB filter, and use tap water ? Do you plan on putting anything in the tank?
                      He is trying to set up a 450G for crying out loud.
                      The point is to let someone who is new to the hobby understand how much it costs to really get one of those big tanks with corals and colorful fish that look good. You don't want them to waste money and time and come away disappointed.

BTW,
                      He can surely build up the tank slowly over time but still that costs money. It's not like it does not cost money if he waits. He either spends it now or spends it later. If he spends it now and set it up right at the beginning, he's less likely to lose livestock later. If he can't afford to spend, it's good to know what to expect now.

Comment

That's the point...look at darbex's.

1.5k without tank and stand it want it takes.

That amounting being "a lot" is relative.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

The amount I spent was based on finding deals and used items and not splurging on the frills that aren't necessary. By contrast my nano I spent almost the same amount not including corals, tank, and stand.
                          Resident fish bum
                          330G FOWLR
                          34G Reef
                          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
                            1. Even with the mag 12 and both maxi jets that still wont be enough water movement IMO.
                            2. Ro/Di isnt a must for a fowlr, but Ro water is. I would stay away from tap, mainly BC of the algae it will cause. Now some people will come on here saying all they use is tap water. They are the Lucky 10% (if that high of a percentage) who's water district is awesome.
                            3. $1500 isnt even skimming the surface of the price it will cost to properly set up a saltwater tank of that size. IMO.
                            1. definitely going to do some more research on pumps and powerheads to increase water flow.
                            2. going to give tap water a try and see what happens since we're planning on just starting with a FOWLR tank
                            3. yea, i know. taking my time to do research and find equipment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                            Will that stand support the 4000+ pounds that tank is going to weigh in at?
                            yes, it should. we're planning to reinforce with more lumber

with the LR, going to just get some and a bunch of base rock. will just let the tank cycle for 1-2 months and constantly test water. about the lights, going to just do something cheap since just starting off with FOWLR. also, you're right. bigger tanks do allow for more mistakes, which i most likely will make since it's a first saltwater tank

Look at what Darbex has and ask him about the cost is good advice.

Look at the tank he has, that has to be 3 ft deep. It's gonna take serious lighting unless he wants to keep corals that do not need lights!
                            lol yea, tank is around 3 ft deep

Originally posted by Gene D View Post
                            Because Thai like many of us (myself included) go for overkill. Like buying Vortech powerheads when Koralias for a fraction of the cost would work just as well, or shooting for 20 times per hour turnover when 10 will do. We choose to exceed the established standard because we can and we want to not because it is necessary.

corals were just an idea. dad wanted to have some just to add color to the tank but it's not absolutely necessary. he said take our time with that since we all know a significant light source for that size tank will be ridiculously expensive

Originally posted by trbkrb View Post
                            As for water, I agree with nightster, RO would be OK for a FOWLR tank as it can get you down pretty far on the TDS - total disolved solids. RO/DI will have 0-1 TDS, vs less than 50 for RO, while regular tap water can have maybe 200+ TDS. But if you want to eventually put in corals, it is best to know that there are no things in the water that would affect them negatively. Think of it like germs on your hands. They might be clean enough to eat with, but they could have harmful bacteria. It is best to wash them first to be safer.

I started with ten 5 gallon buckets of RO water from my LFS when I started my tank. I would not even try to think about transporting 400+ gallons! That is why a $150-200 filter would be worth it IMO. With that much at stake, I would not risk it to "save" a few bucks. You might regret it later.

Good luck!
                            i was thinking of using tap water with tap water conditioners but i'll just try making a small batch first to get tested. if it's clean enough, i'll use it. if not, we'll have to invest in a RO system.

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                            Vic hit me up next week and I will see when you can come by and take a look. Not including my tank and stand my total cost to start my tank was about 1.5K. I bought most of my stuff used or from ADG. The most expensive items where my MP60 and the LR both cost about $600 (This is equipment only). This also includes an RO/DI unit and a 175G storage container. But my tank is FOWLR, it was just to expensive to set-up a reef in that size tank or at least to do it the way I would have wanted to.
                            hopefully i'll be able to check it out this weekend!

Originally posted by luxtralarge View Post
                            The Stand is upside down. 2x8 frame is on top.
                            Originally posted by luxtralarge View Post
                            And also place plywood and foam on top of the stand as it's a rimless tank.
                            if the stand is upside down, can't we just reinforce with more lumber? also, tank was too heavy to get up there. told dad about why we need a piece of plywood and/or foam but he said don't worry about it. lol. i'm going to measure if the tank is leveled out and if not then we'll try to figure something out. i'm assuming that was the reason why you mentioned the plywood/foam

$20 on a nano?
                            You mean a 10g , a tiny HOB filter, and use tap water ? Do you plan on putting anything in the tank?
                            He is trying to set up a 450G for crying out loud.
                            The point is to let someone who is new to the hobby understand how much it costs to really get one of those big tanks with corals and colorful fish that look good. You don't want them to waste money and time and come away disappointed.

BTW,
                            He can surely build up the tank slowly over time but still that costs money. It's not like it does not cost money if he waits. He either spends it now or spends it later. If he spends it now and set it up right at the beginning, he's less likely to lose livestock later. If he can't afford to spend, it's good to know what to expect now.
                            yea, i don't mind. i actually prefer to find out ahead of time how much it'll cost, that way we can take our time getting the right equipment. losing livestock always sucks.

Comment

Trust me there is no need to reinforce your stand the only thing I would do is put a piece of plywood on the back so the stand doesn't rack. That stand is way overbuilt
                              Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Also there is no need to turn it over so the 2X6 is on the top either
                                Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Working...
                                X