No announcement yet.

Cant decide, Need Experienced Opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my Abei from fish gallery, but they were kept in the small individual tanks and I think they are still setting everything up. I do not frequent a lot of FS, but from what I have seen most will only carry pea, green spotted, fakha, and Mbu, but fish gallery will get some random species in from time to time.

Comment

Saw a hairy, pig lip,and humpback at FG today. Don will let you know what's up if you talk to him about puffer stuff.

One that I haven't seen on many forums, is a red-lined tribal puffer. They are actually listed as a "community puffer", but that usually means they are moderately aggressive, but not as much as a Fig8 or GSP. There is some debate as to whether they are fresh or brackish. I have a feeling they probably live in tidal river zones in asia (where they are from), similar to our wetlands around clear lake and friendswood, so they get both fresh and some salt. I want one as a snail destroyer in my brackish tank, but they may work in fresh as well.
      Last edited by Sea-agg09; 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM.
      75 planted (Being Renovated)
      Endlers
      gobies
      lots of nanos

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I checked them out the other day and saw what they had in there. Out of the 3 they had the only one that seemed like a good match for me was the pignosed. But as of yet I cant find any info on it as to how big it gets or what water requirements it may have. The people at FG were not very well versed in that particular puffer either. I have a bit of time before I am ready for the fish but the search goes on.
        45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Originally posted by dryden View Post
          how about Fahaka? I dont suggest you MBU. the fahaka I have is kind shy and stay in my 30G. It's hard to find any mate for him since it looks very quiet.
          But one thing can make you exciting is it can really puff up. very funny if you see that happend.
          the other puffers like green spotted, I never see the puffing happened.
          WOW! You should never never never try to make a puffer puff up. That is horrible. They only do it as a last option from being eaten. AS for a puffer for a 45 gallon... mhhm. I would get a green spotted puffer and you can slowly as they guy matures convert it to brackish water. Pea puffers are way too obnoxious (slowly killing each other off) to have in a tank together and you will have a hard time finding any other puffer species that can live in a 45 gallon forever. Puffers just get too big. Good luck in your search.
          Merritt Adkins
          Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
          Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
          The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

I didnt let it puff up purposely. it happens Only when I transfer it into another tank.
            Also, I do think any harm to do with puffing.
            It is cool to see your puffer doing that since it being called "puffer", isn't?
            correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

I didnt let it puff up purposely. it happens Only when I transfer it into another tank.
              Also, I do think any harm to do with puffing.
              It is cool to see your puffer doing that since it being called "puffer", isn't?
              correct me if I am wrong.
              Glad you straighten that up for me. Just when they puff, things can go wrong, for instance they can get air stuck in them which can kill them, what ever is causing them to puff is stressing them which can kill them and if they are unable to unpuff, you must help them which leads to more stress and then death again... Basically, a puffer puffing is not a good sign. So, it makes sense that your puffer would puff during a water change, that can be a stressful time for any fish. :)
              Merritt Adkins

Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
              The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

goodie to know. I won't kill my puffer with my ignorance. thanks MerrittA. :)

Comment

goodie to know. I won't kill my puffer with my ignorance. thanks MerrittA. :)
                  Hey, we all started out not knowing much. At least you are on here talking to people and learning. :)
                  Merritt Adkins

Comment

Colomesus asellus (aka peruvian puffer/south american puffer-SAP) is a very nice puffer. They get about 5-6 inches- great for a 30-45 gallon tank (well filtered). They can be very tolerant of their own kind if you want to keep more than one. They are entirely freshwater. Just remember to feed plenty of snails and shelled foods to keep their teeth worn down.
                    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                    X