Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low light plant....What has worked for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low light plant....What has worked for you?

Just bought a Marineland Bow front 10g tank for my daughter. It comes with a 24W LED aquarium light. Looks cool, but it doesn't appear to put out a lot of light. I wanted to see what plants do best in low light setups. Comments would be appreciated.

I plan on putting some Cherry shrimp in there with 4 Rasboras and 4 Espes tetras.

Thanks

Austex

Anubius, Java fern, java moss, x-mass moss are all hardy low light plants. If I can keep them alive . . .
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I don't know about LEDs though.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I've seen that light on the tank and IMO would be terrible. If you can find the cheapo hood with the two screw in bulb option. You can put 2x 13w CFL's in there!Thats's decent lighting! But you metioned low light. So even a t8 single 18" will work.
        I use a t8 single in a low light 10 gallon. Growing Rotala Indica, Java fern, Java moss, Wendtii "red" pretty decently! I would suggest dosing Flourish Excel every other day as well! It's a huge help! And you will notice the difference!

Comment

I'll add to the ones listed, crypt spiralis, bacopa carolina, sag subulata, bolbitis, anacharis.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I had good results with anubias barteri, rotalla rotundifolia, wendtii green, hygro, and wisteria.
            FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
              Anubius, Java fern, java moss, x-mass moss are all hardy low light plants. If I can keep them alive . . .
              whew! good.. thats what i was hoping for!! i got the first 3 your listed.. *fingers crossed* on keep them alive.. LOL

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
              N.A.D.A Facebook
              Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

If the tank will be in a bright room or get some amount of window light, the LED's will probably be fine. But if it's in a darker area, I'm not sure. I tried that LED lamp and it did nothing for the plants (although I can't claim anything died...so you may be fine regardless).

+1 on all the plants mentioned.
                Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
                Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Working...
                X