Jack Dempsey Spawning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey Spawning

So I have had Two Jack Dempsey’s for about a month. I wasn’t sure about if I had a male and female or what they were. So I figured that the larger Dempsey was male because it was being super aggressive and beating up on the smaller Dempsey. So to my surprise about a week ago I look in the tank and they are engaged in a lip lock. So I figure I have a male and female still not one hundred percent sure.
    56 gallon tank_0021.jpg

So a few days later the larger fish is getting plump and her egg laying tube is starting to poke out. Last Thursday she starts laying eggs.
    56 gallon tank_0008.jpg

I am still not sure if the smaller Dempsey is a male. I have had Convict Cichlids in the past and of course it is easy to tell male from female with them. So I am just waiting now to see if the eggs hatch to be sure if the smaller of the two is a male LOL……
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

You can tell the sex of jack dempseys easily, the females have less spangles throughout the body, but have large turquoise spots on their face, males have a lot of spangles throughout the body and no turquoise on their face.
    From the first pic I would say you have a pair.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
      You can tell the sex of jack dempseys easily, the females have less spangles throughout the body, but have large turquoise spots on their face, males have a lot of spangles throughout the body and no turquoise on their face.
      From the first pic I would say you have a pair.
      Thanks for the info this is my first time with jack dempseys so im still learning about them.
      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Your welcome, have fun with them, they seem to a really good pair since its not easy to pair them as is, for them to be this bonded at such a young age and also breeding your doing something right.

Their a beautiful cichlid enjoy them.
        FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
          Your welcome, have fun with them, they seem to a really good pair since its not easy to pair them as is, for them to be this bonded at such a young age and also breeding your doing something right.

Their a beautiful cichlid enjoy them.
          Well the eggs are hatching and the female is moving the fry to a pit they dug in the gravel....

Now I am thinking i need to watch my water parameters closely since i gotta hold off on my twice a week cleanings till the fry are larger. Then i have to find them a new home lol.
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X