african fantail shrimp a.k.a.Vampire aka viper shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• african fantail shrimp a.k.a.Vampire aka viper shrimp

Anyone seen one of guys these around town? I managed to get one 4 inches long only to have my
    Figure 8 eat his face off, puff is/was only half the shrimps size and much slower. I knew better once I thought about it.I would really like to find another.

Originally posted by jhouk View Post
    Anyone seen one of guys these around town? I managed to get one 4 inches long only to have my
    Figure 8 eat his face off, puff is/was only half the shrimps size and much slower. I knew better once I thought about it.I would really like to find another.
    http://www.google.com/m/search?clien...CBwQ7AkwAg#i=1
    I bought two at city pets for 14.99ea

Comment

That's where I picked mine up as well. They are currently out and Donny isnt expecting them ant time soon. Ne body know who in town might have some

Comment

the fish store on 59 north by Tidwell has some this week. good luck

Comment

I will swing by on Monday. Thanks

Comment

Fish r us in conroe has them right now.

Comment

how do you feed them? i'd imagine that you get fry food or crush up some flakes really fine and use a turkey baster and squirt some at them once a day or so.

Comment

I think tim has them

Comment

Originally posted by TheHighestCrew View Post
                  I think tim has them
                  Old thread. Question was asked back in 2011. The new guy bumped the thread with another question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tlaloc View Post
                    how do you feed them? i'd imagine that you get fry food or crush up some flakes really fine and use a turkey baster and squirt some at them once a day or so.
                    They're filter feeders. I'd imagine you can just feed your other fish and they'll pick up any extra debris. That's what my amanos do. They'll eat whole pellets. You don't need to get fry food or crush up flakes unless you really want to. IMO it just creates a ton of waste.

Comment

Tlaloc. Filter feeders eat the mico algea out of the water collum. they need a tank that has been up and running for a few months. You can ad firstbites. fry food. But these shrimp will look for the most flow they can find and open their fans and filter the water.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

thanks guys, i've read that the trouble with filter feeders is that it's hard to make sure they're fed and i was thinking about getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tlaloc View Post
                          thanks guys, i've read that the trouble with filter feeders is that it's hard to make sure they're fed and i was thinking about getting one.
                          It's not hard. Just like troy said. Have an established tank for some time. It's even better if you have plants, as it'll host microorganisms and they feed off them too.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

I've noticed all my vampire shrimp will stay by pellets/wafer as they break up and eat off of the floating pieces. Its fun to watch.
                            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

its easy to see if they are eating. Watch and see if they are pooping. If they are pooping they are eating.
                              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
                              X