adult guppies tank dying!! help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adult guppies tank dying!! help!!

my 37 gallons have been sucessful for years. but in the last week, every morning, i find 2 to 3 dead guppies.

let's talk about the set up. it have 30 pounds of gravel, penguin 200 and sponge filter, 2 dwarf water lily, about 20 fake plants, fluorescent light that came with tank, and heater set at 80 degree. i do a 3 gallons water change every 3 days.

i don't usually have dead guppies. every time one die, i do a 3 gallons water change. so this week i've had 4 water changes. tested the water yesterday: zero ammonia, zeno nitrite, minimal trace of nitrate, 1.009 salinity, pH 7.2

i feed them once a day. they look and eager to eat, but no one's belly is bulging except the pregnant females.

the dead fishes show almost no sign of illness at fist. but now i'm starting to see it. they're looking grim and thin, mouth appear to be open and gasping, bulging eyes, white stringy poops. this morning, i found 2 dead with a red bleeding spot at the belly.

looking through guppies disease list, can't seem to pin point any. could it be 2 diseases i'm battling? i've quarantine all the sick guppies into a 10 gallons running 50% water from another healthy 10 gallons and 50% new water with a filter i took out of my endler tank that have 3 filters running.
    Last edited by Ca Nguyen; 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM.

in light of this horrific tank crash, i'm so glad i run multiple tanks for fries, juvenile, adults, and endlers. but the adult tanks need to be treated before another fish get sick. i got 6 big mama fishes in there that i can't afford to lose!

Comment

it's just me...and I am no expert on anything... but with the recent weird weather...
      I personally would not have the tank set at 80. I have had way more success with fish at cooler temps. The gasping look on their face could easily be because of decreased oxygen content in the water. The hotter the water, the less oxygen. My own beginner suggestion would be to lower temp and put in some bubblers... perhaps a bit of aquarium salt or stress coat
      5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
      20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
      29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
      29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
      29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
      55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
      75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Try adding some Epsom salt to the quarantine tank.

Comment

=( =(:sad::sad:

Comment

don't worry thien, other than your one male guppies, they're all safe. i moved all the females in with the endlers for safety.

i don't think it could be oxygen deprivation since the healthy fishes are still swimming at all levels. i have a power head pointing at the surface, should diffuse plenty of oxygen. beside, i honestly don't think an air pump make a different in oxygen level. most of it just reach the top and burst. adding a small air pump with a co2 diffuser just to see. stress coat added, tank is brackish, it have plenty of marine salt.

Comment

Originally posted by nhung View Post
              Try adding some Epsom salt to the quarantine tank.
              where can i find Epsom salt? i think cvs carry it. can you tell me more about it?

Comment

I may be wrong, but if it is already brackish, epsom won't make a difference.
                5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

i think i might have saved the sick ones. i converted the tank to 1.022 salinity gradually since this morning, and some of them are much more active now. waiting and praying this out. there is a male in the batch that i do NOT want to die.

if they look good tomorrow, i'll drain out 3 gallons and slow drip 3 gallons of fresh water back in the tank.

Comment

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. You can get it at any pharmacy. The cheapest place is at Walmart. I use a very low concentration of it in my planted tank as a magnesium source.

For treating fish, usage is 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Epsom will drive water out of fish. It eases swelling and can be used to treat popeye. It is also a muscle relaxant.

Comment

In my daughters tank there's a platy with white stringy poop so if you figure out how to get them to poop normal i'd like to know what you learned about it and how you got it done! thanks
                      Forget the dog.
                      Beware of fish!
                      :ertrink:

Comment

white stringy poop might be due to constipation. try fasting them a day and feed them steamed pea

Comment

Did I mention Epsom salt is also a laxative.

Comment

no dead guppy today. this is great! maybe it really is oxygen deprivation. but why now? it've always been 82 degree. would 4 degrees really make a difference?

Comment

halle****inglujah!! after spending **** loads of extensive testing, i figured out what was wrong with my tank. GH at 8, KH at 3. opened up my excel log and saw last time i tested for GH and KH was early november and GH was 10 while KH was 7.

did anyone experience GH anh KH swing at their home? i didn't make any home improvement, still live in houston, what is causing a drop?

anyways, i added baking soda and epsom salt to raise it gradually. it should take me a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X