Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shrimp tank - need advice

Hello,

I have decided to start a shrimp tank after 30 years of fish/plant only set ups. I have a Fluval 7.9 gallon shrimp habitat that has been cycled for 3 months using ghost shrimp. The set up currently includes:

6 lbs of Fluval Stratum substrate
    2 medium pieces of drift wood.
    2 small of pieces of limestone
    7 different low light pants that are spreading nicely
    4 Espei Tetras (.5 inch max size)
    3 adult Endlers and 4 babies
    1 snail
    1 dwarf algae eater

I am using an Ebi Internal Filter with spray bar and I am dosing CO2 generated by a yeast solution in a bottle. Not using the charcoal packs yet.

My water parameters are:
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrate 0
    GH about 40
    Total Chlorine 0
    KH 30
    Ph 6.8
    Temp 79

I know that I have to raise my GH, KH and PH but I am not sure the best way to do this. I have 8 days to get this done before I pick up my Cardinal (5) and Yellow stripe shrimp (5) juvies.

The aquarium water is a 50/50 mixture of tap and RO water. I should probably use less RO in the mixture.

I have read some posts about using Almond leaves to better condition the water. The only source I can find is on Ebay.

Any help you can give me would be appreciate. By the way, I have a 14 gallon planted Oceanic Biocube, that has been established for a couple of years. This will be where I transfer the excess shrimp if they start to breed. It is heavily planted and I would probably not see the shrimp very well.

Thanks for the help.

Austex
    Sean
    Austin, TX

I have the same tank! its been up since mid Feb. I have mine setup for CRS. I have some lower grade and some of a higher grade in there. Everyone's doing great. In my opinion Fluval did a great job, with this "kit". Almost everything's provided.

The Fluval Ebi comes with solution to raise the GH ( its labeled as mineral supplement). I'm unsure of how it affects the KH if at all. I do a base line test of the water, and then add the supplied solution until it has reached my desired GH. ( following the direction on the bottle).

Do those particular types of shrimp require a high pH & GH?

The stratum included in the kit will lower pH to about 6.

I do 30% water once a week on this tank with 70% tap & 30% RO.

Hope this helped.
    30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

Thanks TexSun. I just found my bottle of shrimp mineral supplement. Once I find my pipetter, I will make some adjustments.

I forgot this question on the original posting. What is the recommended shrimp per gallon ratio?

Comment

Honestly it doesn't sound like your tank is the best solution for these types of shrimps. Shrimp like stability . . . and the more additives you have to add . . . the less stable your tanks becomes.

As TexSun mentioned, you may want to think about changing your substrate. Something that lowers the pH to 6 isn't good for a shrimp that likes a pH of 8. If you are buying the shrimp locally, ask the person/store that you are buying them from what they are doing to the water.
        Last edited by armthehomeless; 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

+1
          30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

Well since I have settled on keeping Cardinal Shrimp. I will change the substrate this week. What would you recommend?

I have read several internet postings and this is what I have found so far.

- An inert sand mixture with some crushed coral /aragonite/ quartz in it.

Comment

I have pool filter sand or agaronite sand in my sulawesi tanks. Any inert substrate will work. Choose something you like.
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
              X