Spring water strikes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring water strikes again!

If you live in spring/n houston - keep an eye of your tap water before doing a water change. I just filled up both of my new tanks, tossed on some established filters. A few hours later did a water test, close to 0 gH on them both. Tested the water, and it was 0 as well. Tested my main tank afterwards, a little lower than normal, but still around 150ish.

Is gH worth buffering? Should I hold on adding fish? With established gravel and filter, was hoping to get stock in the tank in no time - but this seems like it may be quite a hiccup

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

I ran over to a petco about a mile away - they have the same issue right now with 0-25 gH in their tap water as well.
    I picked up seachem Flourish. I do not have planted tanks, but it has calcium/magnesium and iron in it, which supposibly helps raise hardness. I was also told something about baking soda? Any ideas?

Comment

What you really want to test is KH.
      Carbonate Buffering is what really buffers your pH.
      If your kH is greater than 3 or so, it should be ok.

To raise kH, the cheap way is to hang a bag of crushed coral in your tank or your water conditioning barrel or use baking soda (not baking POWDER). Don't raise more than 20ppm at a time.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
      X