Davemonkey's 125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davemonkey's 125

This tank has been set up since November, so I guess it's about time I start a thread on it.

This is a 125 with Mineralized Topsoil, capped with Amazonia and Eco-Complete (mixed, both were used previously and donated to me). The best thing about this tank is that is an accumulation of RAOK's, freebies, trades, etc...so I didn't really spend any $$ onit at all (except for the fish and nerites...and soon I'll NEED to get a larger filter).

December

February

March 26, 2011

Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
    Also follow us on Facebook and APC

NICE! Love to see the progression. :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

nice! your plants seem to grow wierd....the moss grows slow and everything else out competes it lol
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Thanks Mzungu and Cichlid1409. Yes the Fissidens grows very slowly, even the Anubias outgrows it. That's partly because it's just a slow moss and partly poor water movement. The filter I have on here has about 1/3 the flow that I need, so I have to supplement with powerheads, which cause more turbulence than they do "flow"...so even though I've got 900gph movement in the tank, there's really only about 150-250gph of true filtration and proper flow. These Fissidens need that proper flow to do well.

Anyone with a used Eheim 2262...I'm in the market (well, slowly saving up the cash anyway). :)

Comment

Easily one of the nicer planted tanks I've seen. Even moreso since it's a good size tank and not just a small planted 30gal

Comment

Thanks Andrew. I can't take all the credit though. Kevin (kwc1974) help ALOT with hardscape placement and provided me with much of the flora you see. The huge Anubias in the back right are courtesy of The Old Man.

Comment

The hardscape layout is 4 stars.

Comment

Awesome planted tank! Can't wait til mine looks that good.
                30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

Man this tank is a rocking. I still love all the wood we used off to the right. The anubias wrapping around the left wood placment is superb.

Also, I am glad we left the middle part negative. The wood "bridge" and lack of tall plants really lead you into the tank, makes you want to go see what is behind it.
                  Last edited by kwc1974; 03-29-2011, 08:58 AM.
                  Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Truely awesome tank but you did have the eye of the master helping you scape it. I like the use of the larger pieces of wood don't always lime the long intangled pieces. Again AWESOME
                    Dave not to take away from your skills at all
                    Last edited by jhenry; 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM.
                    Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Awesome scape.

What are the ground cover you have in the front? What are the plants in front of the stump? CO2? Dosing?

Comment

Originally posted by kwc1974 View Post
                        Man this tank is a rocking. I still love all the wood we used off to the right. The anubias wrapping around the left wood placment is superb.

Also, I am glad we left the middle part negative. The wood "bridge" and lack of tall plants really lead you into the tank, makes you want to go see what is behind it.
                        Umm, +1! Took the words right out of my brain. Well said, Kevin. :)
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Nice job guys. Gorgeous tank.

Mark
                          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

:)

I only helped Dave with the hardscape and gave my thoughts. He did all of the planting, and a good job at it.

nhung, If I am correct I beleive that Dave used Styrogene porto velo on the front middle ground cover. I think (and I could be wrong) that in front of the stumps is crypt parva. I have no clue as to ferts and CO2, I know he just got a CO2 system for this tank but do not know if it is running.
                            Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback and comments! Yeah, I get to come home to this every day!!!

The foreground plant is Staurogyne repens (shorter, lower, yet more green/plain than Porto velho), and the crypt is Crypt willisii x lucens (or whatever the correct nomenclature is for that species).

CO2 is pressurized 3-4 bps and diffused through an inline reactor (Kevin, help me out with the name of the reactor). Substrate is mineralized topsoil, so I don't fertilize much...just like 1/2 the normal "Estimative Index" dose, and only once per week if I remember to do it. Lighting is 8 x 39 watt t-5HO, but I may knock that back to 6 bulbs.

What this tank really needs is more proper water movement, which I'm currently saving up for (again, anyone with a used/spare 2262...I'm in the market). :)

Comment

Working...
                              X