New FOWLR Stocking ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FOWLR Stocking ideas

I am getting a 125 gallon FOWLR tank drilled and put together by a LFS by my house. Its going to have 2 - 36" T5's a wet/dry skimmer/filter a 1500gph pump and in general custom built piping for everything. I already keep a low end marine (SG 1.016) tank with some monos and mollies but I want to do something different. Keep in mind I will be a beginner to saltwater and there will probably be a bit of a learning curve. I've looked at a lot of reefkeeping posts and general SW discussion but it is overwhelming so I've come here for some useful input.
    Open to any ideas I want to go with a relatively non-aggressive tank, one day I would also like to upgrade to reef so I would like to keep that in mind when stocking. But that will be some time because lighting is quite expensive and I would like to learn a bit more about SW setups.

I got a 6' with 3x MH for only $400. Then you can go reef now. Just saying. Fish wise a lot of Tangs are not aggressive and can be kept with corals.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
      Fish wise a lot of Tangs are not aggressive and can be kept with corals.
      Depends on the tang.
      Many are aggressive toward their own kind/ genus. Some won't be able to take the abuse. You need to look them up if you want to keep them.

Comment

I am sorry I should have been more specific. Like many fish like cichlids Tangs are conspecific aggressive. But a lot of different tangs can be kept together.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Well I have an idea for an aggressive tank setup for my FOWLR. My friend and I collaborated and came up with this basic stocking list:

1x Snowflake Moray
          1x Radiatus Lionfish
          1x Harlequin Tuskfish
          1x Dragon Wrasse

Anyone have any variations on that to work with? I think I am going to give up on converting to coral one day and just buy a whole new tank for that setup. So feel free to throw any crazy ideas my way that you guys may have!
          Last edited by Kenneth; 03-13-2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Lots of wrasse and large quantity of shoaling fish.... Maybe anthias
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

One of the most beautiful schooling fish there is in saltwater is the golden butterfly! If I ever keep salt again, that is what I will strive for.
              I live for tangs@
              Taunt,fishlines
              I dream for smoking
              reels@gianttanks.
              I reminese the past
              of walking the giant
              fishmarket in jiju do.

Comment

Working...
              X