Canister filter for Salt Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canister filter for Salt Water

I was wondering if i can use a canister to run a 60p i'll be getting soon. This is apart of my research that im doing for this tank. im gonna put this tank in my bedroom so i dont to hear the overflow sound all night. the stand that i plan on having is open at the bottom and dont mind showing the canister but not a sump and skimmer. i was thinking eheim 2215-13 with the clear lily tubes for the return and intake so it can somewhat skim the top......dunno though just rambling. what would be good contents inside the canister?

as far as stuff i want in there is definitely colorful fish, live rock and maybe coral if its possible.

how quiet can eshopps be? remember this is in my room where i sleep in silence.
    Damn this hobby......

You want to run an eheim. Pack it wih media. I ran my Ada 45f this way.

For sure it works. It's going to depend on the corals you want to keep and the amount of maintance you want to perform on the tank.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i dont mind once a week as the schedule for my other tanks. how did u do the return and intake lines? what media?

as far as what fish goes with what coral i dunno yet. my girls got complete control of whats goin in here with a strict guide lines of course....
      Damn this hobby......

Comment

With sw nano all you need is flow and lr so just add whatever media you want. Anything is a plus above nothing.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I would pack it full of lava rock it's like $5 at HD for a big bag. Very porous which is great for bacteria growth.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Generally people don't use lava rock for saltwater. Sometimes it has certain heavy metals that will leech into the water. Whats wrong with using the media that came with the filter?

Lily pipes will not skim the surface. When I ran my little Ada miniL there was always some surface scum on the top. You would need an overflow to properly surface skim.

I would just do corals, less maintenance. Canister filter is a pain in the butt. If I had to use one, I'd get a Rena xp. Easier to clean out, and to start back up.
            Last edited by soymilk; 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

do it i use fuge and a huge eheim canister for my 175. everytime i pop it open i find all sorts of living things in there

Comment

how bad is the surface scum?

jameshtrung- do you get any of that stuff floating around the top of your tank?
                Damn this hobby......

Comment

After a while it gets pretty bad IMO. It's just the oil that comes from fish food, and also oil floating around the house if the tank is close to the kitchen.

For a clean tank like a 60p it stands out alot. Isn't Matt selling an Ada 60p set up with stand? If you want we can both go in on that and split the loots. I just want the tank and stand.

Comment

He still has that?
                    Damn this hobby......

Comment

Last I checked on marshreef it was still for sale.

Comment

well i would get scum all over two days after water change. so i put a over flow with it.

Comment

Build the world famous "Bean Animal" silent and fail-safe aquarium overflow system. No noise, no adjustment, no floods. A truly set and forget setup that makes the Durso and Stockman style of standpipes obsolete! Build your own today!

#1 silent

#2 failsafe

When I turn off my skimmer, I hear my fan. When I turn off my fan, I hear my return pump.

I use a canister filter on my daughter's 20 gallon. I dread cleaning it because it is a huge hassle. I guess if you are used to it, it's ok. I prefer a sump any day. Run a skimmer and sump, turning off your skimmer at night, while you sleep.

My son actually likes the sound of running water. My son purposefully leaves his tank low on water, so the HOB will create a waterfall noise. If I fill his tank up so it's quiet, I think he scoops some out behind me.

Comment

Funny it was sold today. But not to me.....
                            Damn this hobby......

Comment

I have one of these for sale if you want lol.

ADA mini-m planted
                              ADA mini-m riparium
                              ADA 30-C nano reef
                              ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
                              ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
                              Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                              110g Peacocks

Comment

Working...
                              X