College tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College tank

I want to do something with cichlids but also a kind of iwagumi tank. Something that would be easy, once set up, rimless. It can't be over 10g. I want there to be some plants, if not a "carpet" of them, without all the CO2 cans (if possible, if not, I'll have to change my view on what I want) Cichlids are not my only option but they are my first choice. If anyone could help me with this, that would be great!

I have two ten gallon tanks, though not the type I would like right now and a fluval 205 that I'll have with it so filtration shouldn't be a problem. I've been thinking that I could do some Manzania wood with a high lighting and a few small schools of small tetras, if cichlids didn't work out but I just honestly have no clue! If all else fails, I'll be taking my tire track eel with me :) (And switch to a topped tank.)
    College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

i'd go with some neon tetras and maybe some geophagus if both are compatible... just because i like those 2 fish

Comment

I wouldn't recommend putting geophagus in a 10G tank...
      210G Malawi haps, peacocks, and clown loaches
      135G buccochromis rhoadesii & 135G Malawi haps & peacocks
      125G aristochromis christi & 125G Malawi hap & old clown loaches
      90G star sapphire
      75G buccochromis rhoadesii
      55G ?
      30G aulonacara Midnight & 30G eclectochromis fry

Comment

Sounds like she's heading to UT.

A&M only allowed a beta bowl.

Some type of dwarf gourami or tetra.

A nice pair of apistos might work welll. HAW always has them.

Comment

Nah, right now it's lookin' like SFA or AR Little Rock. If I was going to SFA, I'd be getting a bird. BUT! I don't want to go there, it's a back up plan.

I was thinking a pair of Apistos as well, with a small school of black tux tetras and a few little cories. I need advice and help on setting up the tank, though and what kind of apistos. It's just so hard thinking of getting rid of all my fish that I have right now and deciding on what to keep in a tiny little 10!
          College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

Comment

A pair of Apistos in a 10g is a little tight. They will feel every square inch of space is there's when they spawn, especially the bottom, and will defend it to the death. I have three in heavily planted 29g, a pair and a spare male, along with a bunch of topminnow/killies. One killi had a bad habit about staying near the bottom in the area the female defended most vigorously. I found him dead down there a few weeks ago. The tetras will probably be okay, but I'd be worried about the cories.

Most of the common Apisto species will survive in typical municipal hard water. My wild-caught A. cacatuoides from HAW have spawned several times in the last few months. I've also heard A. borellii and A. macmasteri will spawn in hard water.

Comment

wouldn't just about any cichlid be too difficult to keep in a 10 gallon

Comment

Working...
              X