Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston water and flat-sided fish?

Hello all,

How do you all prepare your water for water changes in your discus tanks? I have heard that Houston's water is pretty terrible, so I was planning on adding prime, aging, and agitating (24hrs) water in a 55gal drum for future water changes. I am planning on getting adults (4"+ fish) and will not be trying to breed them.

And, how often and how much do you guys change your discus tank water? I know everyone is different and more is better, I just wanted to get an idea.

Thanks everyone!
    -Luke

Houston water is fine.
    I add prime and aerate or agitate overnight. All my fish are in tap water.

For discus growouts i do 50% daily water changes. But then i breed them and clean water helps them to grow to selling size quick.
    For breeders, they get a daily poop vaccuming.. whatever water comes out, is whatever the waterchange will be. Usually about 5-10% daily
    For full grown, non breeding adults, i get away with 50% weekly changes.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I do 3 75% water changes a week. I add a little Prime and let her rip. No aging or agitation. There's more than one way to skin a cat though.
      If it ain't wild caught
      You ain't doing it right

Comment

Originally posted by FrontosaurusRex View Post
        There's more than one way to skin a cat though.
        You've been looking through Thai's cook book?
        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

what about if you do water changes like once every other week? would discus be ok or would they really need that weekly change.? how long do some people go between changes? i have a troph tank and i do a once a month change or TRY every 3 weeks can discus handle that? i've been looking into discus too thats why i ask.

thanks guys/gals
          jose

Comment

Unless your water is super clean and your running carbon and magic beans I wouldnt do less than once a week. When I had my discus tank I was doing 30% twice a week but my bio-load wasnt that much. Also adults can handle Houston water much better than juvies on less water changes. Also it depends on where you get your discus from.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

wheres a good place that has discus that can handle houston water?

Comment

HAW or look for a supplier on simplydiscus and talk to them and see what kind of water they keep theirs in. If the say tap water find out parameters but more than likely it will be similar to Houston. Since Discus are very keen on water quality and they arent cheap fish it never hurts to bug suppliers with questions to make sure you get the best for your situation. If you want wilds John (Snookn21) usually gets good wilds and he keeps them in tap water at about 7.8+ pH.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
                  You've been looking through Thai's cook book?
                  I think he probably ate at the same restaurant that i was at last week ...
                  www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by JGUERRA View Post
                    what about if you do water changes like once every other week? would discus be ok or would they really need that weekly change.? how long do some people go between changes? i have a troph tank and i do a once a month change or TRY every 3 weeks can discus handle that? i've been looking into discus too thats why i ask.

thanks guys/gals
                    jose

the smaller the fish.. the more water changes.. and more likely they die cuz owner makes bad choices..

larger fish are more forgiving of owner mistakes.. so they have a little better change of overcoming owner mistakes..

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                    N.A.D.A Facebook
                    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

cajun.. why are you not running this place?! LOL

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                      N.A.D.A Facebook
                      Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

This forum is blocked by work...so I'm not on it nearly as often :(
                        -Luke

Comment

I do about 50% once a week. I keep 15 in a 150

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
                          Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Working...
                          X