best way to add oxygen to a tank.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to add oxygen to a tank.....

i am looking for the best way to add oxygen to a tank without adding ugly airstones or cheese airwands....what type of powerhead would be best to use? also would a skimmer help? sorry seems like a dumb question i am just having a brain fart on how to achieve this and still make it look clean....thanks mickey
    210 gallon tank...empty.....wait till you see what is coming

skimmer will work but seems like a huge waste of money, unless you just happen to have one laying around. A sump would also add oxygen to the tank. You could always just point a powerhead towards the surface to agitate the water for better gas exchange. Wetdry filtration also adds oxygen.

If you have the right gear, plants will also add a nice amount of oxygen into your tank. That or you can get a sweet sponge bob square pants aquarium deco...

Comment

Powerheads are going to be your best option for adding oxygen . I would go with Koralia powerheads because they are extremely reliable , quiet , low power consumption , and move a ton of water . Of course......if money is not an option........you could always go with the VorTech powerheads . If you decide on the VorTechs.....just be prepared to have your wallet ready .

Comment

Wet/Dry trickle filter
        Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
        29 gal (Planted Puffer)
        10 gal (snails and small planted)
        5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Wet/dry.

Comment

+1
            Sump/wet dry
            Powerhead
            anything that will agitate the surface of the water even using a spray bar for a cannister filter
            People who stand for nothing will fall for everything.

30 cube ( Hi tech planted)(for sale)
            29 bio cube (reef)
            20 cube (kids tank)

Comment

if the tank is not drilled you would have to put overflow boxes in to run the wet/dry. i doubt this is an attractive option to an airstone in anyones openion. i think your best bet would be a powerhead, or pointing the outflow of your canister filter towards the surface so the flow breaks water surface. if you have a hang on the back filter on the tank then it should be enough aeration to substain the tank.

Comment

i am running 2 fx5 filters with spraybars.....it looks like a river in the tank....i am going to be keeping cyps and other sand dwellers...i just want to add the max amount of oxygen to the tank as the load will be around 60 fish....these fish prefer a calmer water so i want to keep it as natural as possable....david i looked at the vortech mp40w and was seriously thinking about buying one....was wandering what would add the max amount of oxygen to the tank plus the 2 fx5s....thanks all...

Comment

I find that vortech pumps do not add oxygen well to the water....

At least not compared to a wet/dry or even a maxijet with a air tube hooked up to it.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

that was the kind of answer i was looking for towards the vortechs....so i guess a mod maxjet with air tube sounds like the best bet....

Comment

Honestly, you should be able to run two fx5s with the spray pointing towards the surface. This should give you all the surface agitation needed.

I would still get the vortechs just for kicks.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i had a 2262 in a 215 with the spraybar pointed towards the surface. i kept 12 5" clown loaches, 10 4"petracolas, 10 6" champsochromis and 11 3"exochromis and never had a problem. that should be enough filtation to make enough aeration in the tank. this way there are no extra cords or anything in the tank. just my openion though

Comment

You didn't mention my favorite.....the cheesie Sponge Filter....

CF
                          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I'd probably just point the output of the canisters toward the surface and maybe add a powerhead.

Another thought:
                            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

to funny tim....i noticed you had the albino version in your 210 is was jealous......lol

Comment

Working...
                              X