Does anyone keep Benthochromis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone keep Benthochromis?

I recently came across this fish and one look at it put it on my "after college" list.
    Any reccomendations or input or advice for these guys?
    College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

they are awesome fish i keeped them in the past....in know tim armthehomless has some and i think the theman keeps them also....they are great fish work best in a small group 5 to 15 but need a big tank as they get realatively big 6 to 7 in....they will jump out of the tank so you need secure lids with no holes...they are plain as young fish but as males grow they get long red trailers and awesome colors...gl with your search....ps they grow fairley fast from about 1in to 5in in less than a year...tim has pics up on his 210 journal in the african cichlid section....
    210 gallon tank...empty.....wait till you see what is coming

Comment

beautiful fish HUGE tank needed to do it right. armthehomeless has some still I think. Amazing fish in person.
      ADA mini-m planted
      ADA mini-m riparium
      ADA 30-C nano reef
      ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
      ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
      110g Peacocks

Comment

Hmmm... I really want some of these and a few Cyathopharynx fishes. I guess I'll have to get a few large tanks Thanks for the input, guys. Oh, and Screename! The Brichardi spawned! They're amazing little parents!

Comment

Benthochromis are deep water fish like frontosa. As tattoo mentioned, they are skittish fish that can easily be startled. I had one freak out when I did a water change -- he darted into the wall and stopped moving. They are graceful swimmers. Mature males have long trailers and are quite colorful whereas females look like plain old sardines. I'd recommend getting a 6'+ tank as these fish love open areas to swim around in. The males dig bowers in the sand and rotate there body to attract females. They are an amazing fish!

Definitely wait until you have settled down a bit to get them. They don't like being moved. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

They're so pretty!!! Thank you so much for the awesome photos and the information!

Comment

Working...
            X