Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the box...Craigslist / Aquarium Addict

Hello,

I live in Deer Park and started an aquarium in February of this year. I bought a 55 gallon off of CL and ended up with a variety of Mbuna in there....and 2 Synodontis Petricola. There is now a total of about 22 fish.....after breeding. I would like to get rid of a few of the Maingano fry.

It did not take long till I had a second aquarium (37 gallon)....turned into a community tank (wife stocked this one).....Mollies, Platys, Tetras, Corys. Of course, they bred too....quite a few fish now.

Then, after some reading online....thought that an outdoor pond would be a good idea. I had some left over materials from a job (landscaping timbers) so I built a box, installed a liner. Here we go....about 375 gallons. Fun experimenting with the aquatic plants.....umbrella palms, mosaic, parrot feather, fiber optic grass, horsetail rush, corkscrew rush. I have found plants that will grow in water that I did not know would. There are Sarassa Comets, Calico Fantails, Shubunkins, Red Cap Oranda (there were 2, just lost one last week), Zebra Danios (put about 8 of thm as test subjects.....turned to about 100), some Silver Mollies....unable to count them at this point (started with 4). Probably others I am not thinking about right now.

I then thought that a turtle habitat would be a good idea.....scored an inground liner / pump / waterfall and the 80 or so rocks for the border (on CL for basically the amount of the gas for the drive and the dirt to fill the hole in the people's yard that did not want it anymore)....it now has some of the mollies.....there seemed to be some aggression. Turtles next spring I guess since we are cooling down a little.

If that was not enough.....I decided I needed a planted tank. 55 gallons. It is underway...hopefully Discus later.

So, to sum this up......I started out to put "an" aquarium in the living room at home to look at. I now have four inside and am keeping fish outside as well....about 550 gallons out there. This has all happened since February.

I did not know that this could be such an addictive hobby.... really enjoying all the fish though.

Welcome to the Box!

Your story sounds very similar to mine, and you will find that many of us here suffer from MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome). )
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Welcome
      You've been busy / what fun!!
      "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
      "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
      -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

Welcome to The Box!! We'd love to see some pics of all your projects if you get time. Come to the GHAC meeting this Saturday and meet everyone.
        If it ain't wild caught
        You ain't doing it right

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
          Welcome to the Box!

Your story sounds very similar to mine, and you will find that many of us here suffer from MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome). )

+1
          Sounds like my story , too !!! I've been suffering from MTS for quite some time .

Comment

Originally posted by FrontosaurusRex View Post
            Welcome to The Box!! We'd love to see some pics of all your projects if you get time. Come to the GHAC meeting this Saturday and meet everyone.
            I need more information.....when and where?

Comment

Originally posted by FrontosaurusRex View Post
              Here are some pics of the outdoor pond.....I have better ones, but files are too big to upload.

Facebook users can use this..... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1296431596 to see some of my outdoor fish. Backyard has changed a lot this year.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very Nice pond/s.....thanks for sharing...we all love pictures.....

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Welcome to MTS anonymous. I also am a aquarium addict.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by rebelliondog206 View Post
                    I need more information.....when and where?
                    Details on the GHAC meeting --> http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...-meeting-11-13
                    Our Fishhouse
                    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                    X