This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trophicide's DYI Refugium Build

Im am going to replace my 20 gallon refugium with a 30 gallon on my 65 gallon reef. I started doing sw about a year ago and thats about the time I built the 20 gallon. I have learned a few things since then so I believe I can make a more efficient filter. Here is what I have to start with (some assy required)

I may switch to a smaller sand for the DSB in the fuge. It says its .5mm-10mm. I thought it said .5mm to 1.0mm. It all looks like its very small and I cant see anything close to being 10mm through the bag. It will be 6 inches deep approx 25lbs worth.

Upgrading from a Aqua Remora hang on skimmer to a RL 125. I dont have any experience with the needle wheel skimmers so this will be fun. I will run it in 9 inches of water.

I have a couple more things being shipped. This will keep me plenty busy till then. I will try to post pics as I go if anyone would like.
    Last edited by myjohnson; 10-23-2010, 12:32 AM.
    Professional Nitrate Brewer

Nice start.

Good size skimmer too.

Who cut the glass for your bafflies for you?

How will you install them?
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
      Nice start.

Good size skimmer too.

Who cut the glass for your bafflies for you?

How will you install them?
      The company name is Johnsons. Owner is real nice, her name is Linda. They are in Pasadena on Fairmont close to Burke. I highly recommend them. They were very fast and measurments are perfect. They even smoothed the edges. I am very glad I decided to use them instead of a night of cussing and temper tantrums. Im using 1/4 inch and its a bronze color. If I were to cut my own it would have been the 1/8th inch window glass. Im using black aquarium silicone to install them. As for placement of the baffles I will have 13" deep sock/skimmer section, 13" deep fuge and may add a small baffle in that chamber for mud to experiment with. It will then go through a bubble trap and the last section will have the DSB and the pump.

Comment

It helps to install tape close to the seal for a cleaner look. Just pull the tape while the silicone is still wet. Any mistakes can be cleaned up with a razor blade. When using silicone pay attention more to the seal of the bonded parts and not so much the looks because you can work on that later. I used my kids spoon to smooth the bead.

added 1/2 inch by 8 inch to the sides of the glass for the skimmer to sit on[IMG]

Comment

sock and skimmer section

fuge

after bubble trap is DSB and pump

Comment

This is the nasty beast im replacing. This so called filter gave me too many problems wih nitrates and algae. Water came from the overflow to the sock and then the deep sand bed with a hang on skimmer. The sand bed was just holding on to nitrates.

I had a small leak one day and it destroyed the bottom of the stand which was made out of compressed particle board crapola. The filter eventually sunk far enough that the structural integrity of the stand was in big danger. I actually saw one of the main supports of the tank move sideways.

good ol particle board

I decided to not replace the floor but to instead reinforce the stand so I could have the extra 3 inches so I could fit the PM125. While I was working on the stand I decided to go doorless and to remove the center support because I like to see the mechanics of things.

Very easy to do fuge light and more importantly cheap. Just need a clamp on lamp from homer depot (remove the clamp).One socket extension, One Y socket and some egg crate from the lighting department. It fits like a glove and cannot be easily knocked down on this 30 gallon.

gootntight

Need to work on placing the live rocks and coral. I still have to paint the stand. Many little tweaks to do but so far I love it. Nitrates were 15ppm and I could'nt get lower no matter the amount or often the water change. I am now at 5ppm. The Pm125 has not totally broken in yet but still kicks the aqua remora hang on to the curb times 5.

Comment

Nice looking design. I'm getting ready to setup a 20L sump/fuge and I may use some of your design. What silicone did you use? Also, why did you separate the center section with the skimmer return? Again, great job.

Comment

looks great! good job.
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank
                10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Great work!

I'm making this a sticky!

A lot of help for the people wanting to do a DYI sump.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by cichlidtx View Post
                    Nice looking design. I'm getting ready to setup a 20L sump/fuge and I may use some of your design. What silicone did you use? Also, why did you separate the center section with the skimmer return? Again, great job.
                    I used the All Glass Aquarium brand silicon in black that can be picked up at most fish stores. It took 3 tubes of the 3oz size to do this sump. Although I did use enough silicone to seal a submarine and probably could of been done in 2 tubes easily. You could use the GE silicone for alot less coin. I believe its the GE silicone I (research to verify). Make sure its 100% silicone without any mildew resistant. I have'nt seen it in black so I paid more for the aquarium name. For the center section I think your talking about the piece thats installed sideways? Eventually I'm going to run another 2.5 gallon and stuff it with chaeto und use the center section to add some exotic marine plants. I will eventually remove the algae from the DSB and keep it dark for the most part because I belive the different organisms and critters multiply better in those conditions and I dont want a root system in it either. I put the sideways divider in the back part to hold marine mud for the pickier plants that need a good deep substate. It being in the back I can then work on the front to give it a slope effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X