Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a certain breed of livebrearers that survive houston winters outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a certain breed of livebrearers that survive houston winters outside

title says it all no misquito fish

Mollies are native.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Any kind of mollie???

Comment

Sailfins.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Without a heater?And any other type of livebearers(specific breed) that survive winters in houston?

Comment

I'd get a heater, just in case. They're pretty cheap, and IMO worth it to make sure your fish survive the winter. MUCH cheaper than, say, a chiller.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Haha ok im prolly going to need it for my tropical lilies anyways.Do i have to buy a heater according to the size of my pond or can i just use any size heater with just lest water being heated.

Comment

So can anyone answer my question about heaters cause i got like 3 10 gallon heaters laying around

Comment

You'll need a bigger heater than those.
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

would they work for a 35 gallon above ground?

Comment

Originally posted by koi View Post
                      would they work for a 35 gallon above ground?
                      They might, but would be burning a WHOLE lot of electricity, and have a good chance of burn out because of having to overwork to keep up. Your best bet is to get one suited for the size of the tank/pond and play it safe. If one overworks, it could crack and FRY everything in the tank/pond. And having 3 things plugged in compared to 1 will save money/utilities. There are a bunch of people here on HFB that have heaters for sale/trade for cheap that would better fit the needs of your tank. Or you can check out BigAlsOnline and find whatever you need or at least research what you will need. Hope this helps, and hope everything that everyone has said helps too...
                      BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

3 - 5 watts per gallon. I don't know how big your pond is. If the pond is really big, you will need to circulate water to and from the heater.

My dad has an outdoor pond and he made an isolated cave kind of an area with a relatively small heater in it. The whole pond doesn't stay warm, but that section does and the fish have done pretty well so far. I don't know if he has had a really cold winter since putting that pond in.
                        Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                        150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                        17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                        5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                        3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

jarrodaden ima prolly do that and put it where the water doesnt circulate Im made my mind up no I'm going to get some sailfin mollies,Guppies,And maybe swordtails.I like livebearers/minnows for some reason in my pond it makes it look more lively. The heaters im getting are for free and i really dont have the extra money to spend.Im still stocking my pond.Butterfly koi are very exspenive.

Comment

So Im going to use 2 10 gallon heaters for my 35 i just need to maintain my water temp at 60.Will guppies die at that temp?

Comment

A year or two ago I saw swordtails living in San Pedro park in San Antonio. I belive that park has spring fed water.

I belive that the Sailfin Moly is best bet for survive the winter her in Houston. A realy bad cold spill will kill them, but most years they wil survive.

Comment

Working...
                              X