New to killies....have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to killies....have a few questions

I picked up some killies from Nick that he had bought at the auction. Think they are Lafia Golds. Don't remember the sellers name (chime in whenever you want to please). Need to know what are thier "ideal" water conditions are for thier tank. I have a few tanks I can set up for them and only them. I had though about tossing them in my pond, a few people thought it would be a bad idea...so made me leery. They are just barely old enough I can see two young males, and I think the others are all girls. Should I separate them by sex, or leave them all together? What temp are they most comfortable at? Food? Right now they seem happy in the 30 xtall with the rainbows, and are eating decaps brine, golden pearls, and guppy flake, with the occasional feeding of live brine, and mosquito larva. Just need some help making sure I don't do something stupid to kill these guys. I think they are a really cool little fish. OH, and what is there temperment when they are adults? Right now they seem quite peaceful, but I know things can change with certain fish when they are of age, and size.
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

I think those came from phishphreek. . . but not sure.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
      I think those came from phishphreek. . . but not sure.
      They are pretty little fishes. I really like watching them and want to make sure they live a happy and carefree life with me. I don't want to put anything with them that will hurt them, or for that matter that they will hurt. Right now thier tank mates in the 30 xtall include a small breeding school of praecox rainbows, 4 female bettas, 1 kuhlii loach, 2 red calico BN, 10 sterbai juvies, 1 gold marble angel (dime size), and 4 albino cories.....nice little mix of misfits, but I would like to get them quarters of thier own for future breeding attempts. As of right now, everyone gets along...but soon I know the angel might be big enough to harrass someone, and the bettas, which is whom I thought would give trouble, seem to be more scared of thier fast "stop and go" movements more them anything.

Comment

I don't know much about this particular species, but I'm sure the aquarium they're in is just fine. And killies tend to not be too aggressive (of course there are always exceptions), and your best luck for breeding them would be to keep them all together.

Like I said, not too familiar with this species, but it's possible that they'll use spawning mops, which you can remove from the tank at your leisure and pick out the eggs to rear them separately.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Duh, I forgot we had this! :)

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/content.php?259-lafia-gold

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well, just a update..I don't think they like me. I have lost all but 2 of the females. All the boys and juvies died. I read up on them, and thought they were doing well, and then they all just kinda fizzed off. No real knowledge as to what of. They all ate fine, were in the 30 Xtall, air bubbles and 2213 filter. Temp set and stayed at about 76-78. Fed decaps, golden pearls, live brine, and flake or crumbles. Guess this is one fish that don't like me...

Comment

Working...
            X