New to this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this?

I'm thinking of getting a 3g pico soon and kinda want to put a green mandarin in there with maybe a little shrimp but while I have done research, I don't really know what to do. Any help?
    College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

Hey Ashley!

Well, to start with, get yourself a little tank, and get it cycling.
    After letting it cycle, add your rock and once it's nicely mature in a couple weeks and your reading are right, you can begin to add fish.

Note: You can buy a chemical in little capsules (called Bio-digest I believe) that cycles the tank faster. It also helps to add nicely covered lr.

Be aware that evaporation will be very high if you have a strong light, so have top-off freshwater at hand at all times, and be sure to have salt and RO/DI water (from walmart for ex.) handy so you can always change out a percentage.

They say the larger the tank, the easier it is to care for.

As far as your choice of fish goes, a mandarin might not be the greatest choice, since they feed on pods, and I din't think you could stably keep one well fed in a 3 gal, since the pods would be wiped out completely in a day, and you'd have to reseed them.

I know most people don't suggest a mandarin in anything less than a 75, or that's what I've heard at least, due to their demanding diet.

The shrimp should be alright though!
    I can come help you shop for the right supplies and do set-up if you'd like.
    Last edited by aquashelle; 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM.
    Currently fishless, but a proud mama to a musk turtle hatchling.

Comment

Hmph... Darn. lol. They're so pretty. I'll do some research on dwarf fishes cause I really want a little fish or something in addition to a shrimp.

But that would be awesome if you could help me. The guy I'm getting it from has some "dead live rock" and I don't know where to get anything so that would be awesome. Anything cheap, donated... Anything would be helpful! lols Including knowledge!

Comment

Sorry! I don't mean to ruin your plans, I just know it's really hard to keep them alive, without running another tank just to raise their food.

You could probably do a little clown, or goby, which would be pretty cool. The little molly-miller blennies I catch from Galveston sure have a "puppy" personality, but they aren't that colorful...which is what I bet you're looking for :)

Gl deciding what to get!

Comment

Nah, It's alright. I'm looking at goby and shrimp combo. lol. Probably just a little cleaner and a... I think they're called "sand blaster Gobys". IDK. But yeah, I'm doing a bunch of research. What I really need is some live rock, first off. lol

Comment

Marshreef is the best place to get lr, that wzy you don't generally pay more then 2/lb.

I love the little combos, that will be a great tank!

Comment

There isnt many fish you can put in a 3G. If you want fish i wouldnt go smaller than a 20 or so. In a 3G all your going to be able to keep is corals and maybe a shrimp. Gobies/Blennys get to big IMO
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I've been reading that. Hmmm... Sigh. I don't have room for anything bigger, unfortunately but a dwarf goby would be prob the only thing I could keep because, while expencive and hard to get, they stay pretty small.

Comment

A 3g is going to a little hard to keep up with since you are new to saltwater. I wouldn't keep any fish in a 3g. I had a 2g with some corals but didn't last long since I didn't keep up with it. I went from a 2g to a 260g : ) I'd say go for your 3g but with corals/inverts. I'll give you a live rock thats about 3lbs. I can even give you some anthellia(coral).

Comment

i had a small clown in my 3 for a long time..i had mostly corals in it..taking care of the tank was alot easier than i though..all i did was daily top off and weekly water changes, which was just half gal..hey dow let me know if you still want it..i got another guy asking for it.
                    fish keeping is like being with a woman...you need lots of time and effortto make it work

Comment

Working...
                    X