This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPWD Public Meeting on Prospective List of Exotic Aquatic Plants

FYI - This could have implications for some aquarium enthusiasts and retailers. Comments, pro and con, are encouraged.

Lance Robinson
    TPWD - Coastal Fisheries
    Dickinson Marine Laboratory

News Release
    Media Contact: Steve Lightfoot, 512-389-4701, steve.lightfoot@tpwd.state.tx.us
    June 11, 2010

TPWD Will Hold Public Meeting on Prospective List of Exotic Aquatic Plants

AUSTIN – Many aquaria and landscape enthusiasts and lovers of aquatic wildlife appreciate both the beauty and functionality of aquatic plants, but the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department wants to ensure the introduction of non-native plants will not harm the state’s natural resources.

In an effort to allow businesses to sell and residents to use some non-native plants while adhering to its mission of wildlife protection and conservation, TPWD will hold a public meeting to gather input regarding which exotic aquatic plants to consider for sale and use in Texas. The meeting is set for 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 29, in the Commissioner’s Hearing Room at TPWD headquarters, 4200 Smith School Road.

The Texas Legislature has directed TPWD to create a list of approved exotic aquatic plants that must be finalized by the end of the year. The use of a list of approved plant species is a departure from the department’s present use of a list of prohibited species to restrict the importation and sale of certain non-native plants.

Presently, possession of some non-native plants is prohibited while the possession of other non-native species is allowed with a permit. This system requires the department to continually monitor and update the prohibited list as new species are brought into Texas.

Ken Kurzawski, inland fisheries program manager, said several varieties of invasive plants enter Texas through the plant industry, a situation that necessitates cooperation between the plant sellers and TPWD.

“We need the public’s input to determine which exotic aquatic plants are being bought and sold in Texas,” Kurzawski said. “If we don’t know about (a specific plant), we can’t evaluate it for possible inclusion on the approved list.”

Each species considered for the approved list must pass a scientific risk analysis before it will be added to the list to ensure that it does not have the potential to negatively impact the state’s aquatic resources.

A draft of the list of proposed exotic aquatic plants under consideration for approval for possession and sale in Texas can be found at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business...quatic_plants/.

For more information, contact Earl Chilton at (512) 389-4652; earl.chilton@tpwd.state.tx.us, or Ken Kurzawski at (512) 389-4591; ken.kurzawski@tpwd.state.tx.us

I appreciate your desire to get the word out but multiple ones in other discussions is not necessary.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

My apologies. I haven't been a regular of this site and wasn't sure how much interplay between discussion boards occurred.

Lance Robinson
      TPWD - Coastal Fisheries
      Dickinson Marine Laboratory

Comment

Originally posted by LanceR View Post
        Each species considered for the approved list must pass a scientific risk analysis before it will be added to the list to ensure that it does not have the potential to negatively impact the state’s aquatic resources.
        Wow. This will have a HUGE impact on all planted aquarium hobbyists.

So, basically, there is going to be a list of approved plants that we can possess, and we can only use those plants in our aquariums?? There are hundreds and hundreds of plants that are currently used in aquascaping, and more species are discovered for aquarium use almost daily.

This could be really huge, everyone.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Wow . . . everyone needs to read this.
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

After reading on that website and following the lengthy thread on APC that the DFW group started, I think it would be beneficial to us Houston hobbiests to come up with a list of every plant we wish to be considered and make sure that TPWD gets it. I think it's also important to go to the public meeting on January 11th at the Bass Pro Shop in Katy at 7:00pm and have a unified voice with our DFW counterparts.

If we don't get all our plants on a list and to TPWD, we can lose the ability to grow (legally) the vast majority of our favorite aquarium plants.

-Dave
            Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
            Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Originally posted by davemonkey View Post
              After reading on that website and following the lengthy thread on APC that the DFW group started, I think it would be beneficial to us Houston hobbiests to come up with a list of every plant we wish to be considered and make sure that TPWD gets it. I think it's also important to go to the public meeting on January 11th at the Bass Pro Shop in Katy at 7:00pm and have a unified voice with our DFW counterparts.

If we don't get all our plants on a list and to TPWD, we can lose the ability to grow (legally) the vast majority of our favorite aquarium plants.

-Dave
              +1.

I'll be there.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Comment

Dave call me this weekend if you can.

Comment

If you don't want to come up with a list, or can't spend too much time on it, write down the species (both scientific and common names) of the plants you currently keep and PM them to me. I'll compile them together with mine and bring them to the meeting.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Comment

I was not able to attend the meeting (didn't get off work until 6 and it's a 2 hr drive from my office). However, I was able to contact my Texas Reps and let them know how I feel about this. Since legislature came up with the rule, only they can really change it. Otherwise, we are at TPWD's mercy on taking our suggestions for approvals. The below website will allow you to find out who represents you and you can them contact via email, phone, fax, mail, etc...your reps. PLEASE do this.

Luis, sorry, I didn't see your msg until just now. I'll try to call you this afternoon sometime. (And don't let me forget I still have your bucket!! )

We can't find the page you're looking for. It might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
                    Last edited by davemonkey; 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM.
                    Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
                    Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Where do we now stand on this issue?

Comment

Last post was over 5 years ago..........

Comment

Proper disposal of our trimmings are key to preventing our favorite plants from being added to the noxious weed list. Mike

Comment

In 2010 when original list was proposed we fought this. The problem we and you face is. Will a released plant survive in Tx. waters? The answer is yes. With the San Marcos and Comal River anything released will survive. In 2010 that is when they found Crypt. Affinis was found in San Marcos River.
                            Good luck. I for one will not be fighting this one this time. I have retired and no longer keep fish or plants. Wait I still have a greenhouse with plants growing.
                            Again good luck. TP&W are very nice people and are interested in your opinion. This being directed by the State. I forget which law it is that makes them come up with a CLEAN list.

Comment

Originally posted by fishman13218 View Post
                              The problem we and you face is. Will a released plant survive in Tx. waters? The answer is yes. With the San Marcos and Comal River anything released will survive. In 2010 that is when they found Crypt. Affinis was found in San Marcos River.
                              If the Cryptocorynes get out of hand, you just add hydrilla and Eurasian milfoil to crowd them out.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X