Puffer Dentistry for small puffers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer Dentistry for small puffers

Last night I moved all the South American Puffers from one tank to another. I took the opportunity to clip their teeth since I had them out of the tank anyway. I finally got the ratio of MS-222 to water so that the puffer goes under in about a minute. All the times prior to last night, it took about 10 minutes, so I wanted to document and share this info.

Supplies:
    Finquel (MS-222)
    Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)
    Gram scale (or a tsp, but a gram scale is better)
    pH test kit or pH monitor
    Cuticle clippers
    1 container for MS-222/water solution
    1 container for fresh water (post-op recovery)
    Air Pump
    supplies_sm.jpg

First, prep your containers of water. I used 1 liter of dechlorinated water with 0.1 gram of MS-222. This was the perfect amount to ensure the puffer goes to sleep within about 1 minute. If you don't have a gram scale, you can use measuring spoons, but since I don't have a measuring spoon smaller than 1/4tsp, the photograph attached shows 0.1 gram of MS-222 in a 1/4 tsp. I think it would be safe to assume it's about 1/8 tsp.

weight_sm.jpgfinquel_sm.jpg

MS-222 is acidic so it drops the pH drastically. That's why you'll need to test the MS-222 solution and add some Sodium Bicarbonate or baking soda to bring the pH back up. I don't have a measurement for this. I just use a pinch at a time and test the solution until the pH is back up to normal. It's going to vary based on how much MS-222 you use.

I use a bucket for my second container and fill it with 1/4 tank water and 3/4 fresh, declorinated water. This is the container where you will put your puffer to wake up.

I aerate both containers, removing the air stone only when a puffer is in the container.

Okay, ready to get started? Then go get your puffer.

When I move my puffers, I use a net and a small plastic bowl. I don't want them to puff up with air, so first I catch the puffer in the net. Then I put the bowl in the water and put the puffer in the bowl while still underwater. This way I can lift the puffer (in the bowl) out without worrying about him freaking out and filling with air.

Put the puffer in your mixture of MS-222 and water. He will probably be scared and moving around a lot. Watch him until stops moving. You will still see him breathing, but usually the fins will stop moving and will be clamped close to the body. I say 'usually' because I have seen them still move their pectoral fins when they are drugged enough to clip the teeth. Sometimes they will roll over and go belly up. Don't panic. This is normal. Lift the puffer out of the solution and hold him in one hand. Warning...they are slippery little suckers. I found that if you use a WET towel, it does help to hold on to the puffer. Use the cuticle clippers and clip the overgrown teeth to normal size. It is always better to err on the side of caution and leave them a little too long than to clip too close and injure him. FYI, it feels like clipping a fingernail.

Once you've got him all trimmed (it should only take a few seconds), put him in the container of fresh water. You'll see him start to swim a couple of minutes later. He'll be a little wobbly, so it's best to keep him in the freshwater container until he gets back to normal. It doesn't take long. Then you can transport him back to his tank with a nice new smile.

That's it! If I've forgotten anything, please let me know.
    Last edited by imagirlgeek; 05-20-2010, 04:03 PM.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Traci, you are amazing. You not only made this sound easy, but you made me feel like I could do it correctly after just reading this once. Additionally, it's a great read!

How often would you say you have to do this to your SA puffers? I've seen them before but knew about the teeth-overgrowing tendency from here, so passed them up.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

:biggrin: Thanks MB! I found that there is almost no information out there that says exactly how much MS-222 to use. Everything I found was very vague, or I didn't trust it. For example, I ran across a post on another site that says to use 1/4 tsp of MS-222 for 1 liter of water. That seemed like a lot to me, so I kept under-dosing, and it would take forever for them to go under. Turns out, after lots of trial and error, it's more like 1/8 tsp. If it's something you think you might end up doing, I'd recommend getting a gram scale though...you can get them pretty cheap and it's really worth it for the piece of mind.

As for how often...it really depends on the puffer. I have a few that never have to be clipped. But most of them have to be done every 6 - 8 months. You might be able to go longer than that, but I'd say that's about average.

It's only difficult the very first time. After that, you know what it's supposed to feel like and the nervousness is gone.
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
      X