White... thing... eating my FB newts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White... thing... eating my FB newts

My favorite newt passed on today, despite my best efforts. I honestly didn't know what to do or what to treat him with, so I did what was natural. I moved him into an isolated mini-terrarium and did extensive water changes on the tank he was in. He was fully aquatic, for the most part, choosing to sit on the provided lilly pad whenever. However, half a month ago, a white substance began eating the tip of his tail. I put some Neosporin on it, as directed by a local zoo vet and let him be. By now, the tip of his tail was completely gone and the bones were showing. Three days later, the consumption stopped. I though we were fine until it broke out again and took half his tail in two days. This morning, he was dead.

Another of my newts had similar symptoms, only the white stuff was over his face and head.

What is going on, here!?
    College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

Sounds like a fungal infection of some sort. Try treating the remaining newts with Melafix and Pimafix in tandem. They are safe to use with reptiles and amphibians. To save some money, use the pond versions of these treatments and use Melafix at 1 ml per 10 gallons and Pimafix at 1 Ml per 5 gallons. Do expect these remedies to make the water foamy. Under no circumstance, try to use salt. Amphibians are sensitive to salt, especially salamanders. Hope this helps.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

It's sounds like Flexibacter bacteria to me. This is commonly mistaken for fungus. A true fungus is VERY RARE. Flexibacter bacteria attacks the tail and fins (on fish) and the head and mouth as well. It also kills very fast.

Because people use antibiotics incorrectly so often, Flexibacter bacteria is pretty much resistant to most antibiotics. Penicillin, Nitrofurazone, Sulfonamide, and Neomycine have been known to work, it just depends on if the strain is resistant or not. Also, the use of salt is okay, but only as a short term bath, and you should stay and watch the newt the entire time he's in the salt bath. That way you can remove him if he starts to get stressed.
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Well, the only one that is healthy and alive, now is staying out of that tank forever. I made a large jar terrarium for him and he absolutely adores it. I'm also getting some new newts and tearing, sterilizing and reestablishing the tank I have now because this all started when he bit my betta, who later got fin rot and died. I haven't been able to keep a fish alive in there and, up until the start of these episodes, the newts were the only things that stayed alive!
        College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

Comment

Working...
        X