No announcement yet.

First saltwater tank newb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can always attach some zoas or mushrooms to the overflow to cover it up.
    75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
      But it looks so much cleaner when its clear haha. I think imma get clear and just clean it every now and then. Just like what I do for my lily pipes.

Here's the diam for the Nano overflow box
      Outer box: 4 1/2" x 3" x 9" high
      Inner box: 4 x 2 1/2 x 6
      Output connection 3/4"

bust out the tape measure
      Crap, that means absolutely nothing to me. so, the inside box is 6" high? Thats huge! My tank's dimensions are exactly 14.17in X 8.66in X10.24 in. If it fits, ill try it. I can always hide it with some live rock. lighting is a 70w MH 14000k. Do you think this will work bro?
      ADA mini-m planted
      ADA mini-m riparium
      ADA 30-C nano reef
      ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
      ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
      110g Peacocks

Comment

The inner is what is more important correct? I could care less how far down it hangs as long as its not longer than the tank which is 10.24 inches
        ADA mini-m planted
        ADA mini-m riparium
        ADA 30-C nano reef
        Eheim 90cm SA biotope
        110g Peacocks

Comment

im a tard. i thought soy was asking me. Hard to remember what thread im in sometimes. Wow I would downgrade on the light. A small tank with hilide lighting you need to factor in temp and light intesity. I wouldent recomend hilides on a small tank without a chiller, It could cause masive temp swings and bake your corals. This is just my opinion but i would erge you to go 20gal or larger at least for the tank (or at least go with t5s for less heat. 20gal is still not as stable as a large tank but its going to be 4 times as stable than a 5.5 and might take your light (and still would sugest a chiller.) To give you an idea of heat. my tank raised 2 degrees one day (with ac stedly on in room) and over 3 degrees with canopy closed and its a 75gallon 15 gal sump with way less watts per gallon. Go slow and test your equipment b4 you add fish and corals. Best to work out the kinks on a tank of water. good luck, and happy reefing.

Comment

I agree with tang, small tanks are a pain in the butt haha. Don't put too too much live rock in there. I had too learn that the hard way.

Hello Everyone.Longtime FW hobbyist - first time Reefer... I originally bought this tank to upgrade my 3g FW nano, but when I found I would need to buy a new light, I decided this would be my foray into SW Reef. I know a 5g is not the ideal size for a beginner, but I have been keeping FW tanks fo...

This dude had a crazy 5.5 gallon Ada saltwater tank.

I think you should do your homework on what you want. A nice zoa garden might be cool. You can get some really nice "designer" zoas. Red hornets, blue magicians, nightmares..... Expensive stuff... 80 bucks per polyp. If you go that route you won't really need a overflow.

Comment

i would stay away from the designer corals till its safe, and you haven't killed anything. Blowing alot of $ on a polyp when your new to the hobby is not recommended. But i do agree with soy on the zoas, there cool and they are super hardy.

Comment

I want your tank vanson!
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up guys. Heat is gonna be my biggest issue. May run a small chiller or some fans? Will update sometime this week. Ive put a lot of live rock in there just to help cycle the tank?
                  ADA mini-m planted
                  ADA mini-m riparium
                  ADA 30-C nano reef
                  Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                  110g Peacocks

Comment

how hot is your tank now?

Comment

Working...
                    X