Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted - Stocking question

Hello Everyone,

I am getting two new colonies at the mid-end of May. I have an idea of what I want to do as far as moving existing colonies around and adding the new colonies. Please tell me if you see any flaws in my logic. I want to have a rock solid plan in place before the new ones get here.

OK:
    Have
    135 with 14 WC Musanga
    125 with 14 WC Ilangi and 25 juvie F1's
    125 with 26 WC moops
    75 with shellies and chalinochromis (sold Kalambo colony today)
    55 with Julies and Steato's.
    55 empty and not set up.

My plan:
    Musanga to 55
    Leave Ilangi be (they are very high strung and if you fart too loud in front of the tank they go off spawning for months )
    Move the moops to 75 (they are well esablished and know each other and aren't aggressive with each other)
    18 WC Namansi to 125 moop tank
    26 WC Lupota to 135

I decided to move the larger, but established colony of moops because the Namansi will need more room and once they've become "institutionalise" I will think about moving them to smaller tank.
    Or should I leave the moops in the 125 and put the namansi in the 75?

I feel a bit uncomfortable with the musanga in a 55, but I don't have any other choice as I don't want to sell them, they are stunning.

Thanks,
    Jenney.
    Last edited by geoff_tropheus; 05-02-2010, 04:19 PM. Reason: descriptive title
    Question Authority.
    75- WC Ilangi, S. tinanti, N. brevis
    55- Grow-out- T. brichardi namansi, S. babaulti.

namansi should go in the 75. Sell the 55 tank and replace with a 75 at least. Trophs in a 55 is not a good situation.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

agreed.
      If it ain't wild caught
      You ain't doing it right

Comment

I was leaning the same way. A 75 or 90 gallon has about the same footprint as a 55 and are pretty common on the used market for a reasonable price
        120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
        180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

I would upgrade the 55 to a 75 gallon also. The 55 will work temporary, but in the longrun you know you will want them to be happier in a larger tank. What sucks here, is that I got a guy who is giving away 2 75 gallon tanks. Wish you were here in Houston.

Personally, I would keep the moops in the 125 also, because they are already established there, happy, and making babies, and for my own personal tastes anything over 20 fish for a 75 gallon is too small. I think you will regret this move if you do so.

The 18 namansii should be fine in the 75 gallon. I think Thai had his in a 90 gallon for a long time and they were ok.
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thanks everyone! That saves me some work, not having to move the moops. It only makes sense to treat them the same as the Ilangi even though they are alot more mellow and way less skittish than the Ilangi. I will start looking around for a 75 gallon to go where the 55 is.
            Thanks again,
            Jenney.
            Question Authority.

Comment

An update: the musanga were spawning in the 55 last night.

They were the biggest beggars of all the variants I have in the 135, and, after about a week of adjusting to the new digs, have resumed the title of "Biggest Beggars" in the 55. I love to watch them. They are so outgoing and know me vs my BF or daughter or visitors and will usually concentrate their begging efforts on me.
              I have some pics of them, that are halfway decent. It is so much easier to photograph them in the 55. I'll put them up sometime this weekend.

Jeneny.
              Question Authority.

Comment

Tropheus are such hams.. :)
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                X