Some help needed with the "dark side"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help needed with the "dark side"

Ok so I have made the plunge and am going to try my hand with salt water. I have done research but to me there is nothing like learning from what other people have went threw so I am open to everyone opinions please. Set up is a 20 gallon tall (I know its small for a starter tank) with a run of the mill factor hood 18 watt grow light (which needs to come out and go into my daughter F/W 10 g Betta tank I think). I set it up this past Friday with NEW crushed coral but with water from 2 tanks a friend has. Yesterday live rock from another friend went in. How long will it take with using used (lol) water and live rock to do my cycle. I have screwed this up on F/W and pushed when I knew better and it cost me! Another question if I would like some type of coral in this tank without bankrupting on the lighting. What low light corals have you guys kept, I like the mushrooms but I am reading so much mixed information that I am pretty confused (not hard to do lol). I also have a idea on changing out the light but will run that one by everyone only if we have to change out the fixture to get more wattage in the tank. Thanks to everyone for their help ahead of time
    "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

I would definately up the light no matter what corals or mushrooms you keep. If everything you are using is from well established tanks then your cycle time will probably be about 2 weeks. I would get a test kit and measure it. MJ or Cichlid1409 will chime in soon.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

more light is a must. i would suggest at least 70w for low light corals but more would be better. even though they are low light doesn't mean they need low light, they will thrive in high lighting also. zoaanthids, mushrooms and soft corals like kenyi trees or non-photosynthetic corals like sun coral will work with the lower lighting.
      as far as cycling just keep an eye on parameters ammonia/nitrites/nitrates when the first read 0 then your good i would say about 2 weeks but make sure to check it first. then slowly add fish/corals so the bacteria can build up to support what your adding before you add more. make sure to drip acclimate your new arrivals and never add the water from the bags to your tank.
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Thank you both so much. What K-rating would you recommend. I currently have 6500 K going over my F/W planted tank. Just going to kick back and look at this tank full of water and rock for about two weeks before I even think about adding a fish to it.
        "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

Comment

but it really depends on how you want it too look 10-20k will be ok. just varying degrees of blue.
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Yeah I sent you that PM. K rating is based on taste. Personally I wouldnt do below say 15K but I run 20K it looks better and brings out the colors more.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Just Pm you back with what I had done on the F/W planted tank but not going to chance seeing if it will work on this. So for now just some live rock and open to any ideas I can place in it until I buy better lights. Husbands been pretty good with my F/W fish habit for the past year but he kind of frown a bit when he noticed this was a S/W set up, so I better slow down my spending for now.

Comment

You can try it and see. Photosythetic corals have an algae that produces most of their energy. This algae called Zoaxanthellae algae uses the blue spectrum light for growth this is the reason that most reef tanks use K ratings in the 10-20K which simulates water depths of 10-30' deep. The K rating of a noon sun is around 6500K to 10000K however salt water diffuses the red spectrum more than fresh water which is what causes the blue hue and the reason why FW you want it the lower yellow range and SW you want the high blue range.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Have the lighting problem fixed now and added a Yellow belly Damsel two days ago to help with the cycle. I thought he was really cute at first with the way he would rush up to the glass when I sat down in my chair next to the tank. We where thinking he was just a very interactive little and really hated the fact I would have to give him up at some point. Tonight I decided I needed to move some live rock that did not look too stable so I stick my hand in the tank and the little no good for nothing went right after my hand trying to fight me out of the tank. Had he been the size of a Oscar I think he would have taken my hand off. Needless to say I no longer have any bad feelings about trading him back in when the time comes

Comment

damsels are notorious for that. those little ********!!
                    25g - Reef
                    3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
                      damsels are notorious for that. those little ********!!
                      I tell you if it was not for the fact I get full credit at my LFS on fish I take in I would let the husband take this little *^&% bass fishing with him. I bet a nice White might mistake him for a blue back rattle trap

Comment

Re: Some help needed with the "dark side"

Originally posted by seminoleranch
                        I decided I needed to move some live rock that did not look too stable so I stick my hand in the tank and the little no good for nothing went right after my hand trying to fight me out of the tank. Had he been the size of a Oscar I think he would have taken my hand off. Needless to say I no longer have any bad feelings about trading him back in when the time comes
                        My black clown fish do the same thing. I've even had them bite me a time or two. It's not hard. But it kinda stardles you.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
                        -Stephen Roberts

Comment

Working...
                        X