Killifish in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killifish in Houston

Does anyone have killis and has anyone had succesfull spawnings?
    I'm need to the killis but really would like to learn alot. I would like to breed my kills.

I have Mangrove Killies. You would think they are easy to breed since they are self reproducing, but the parent eats the eggs rather quickly and then fry are REALLY rough on each other.
    Last edited by Nickintex; 04-04-2010, 02:21 PM.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Oh but you still have a couple that make it?
      I have Fundulopanchax gardneri LAFIA GOLD
      in a tank with some Guppies, and some Dojo Loches. I think I saw then spawning lastnight but not sure... Didn't see no Eggs.

Comment

Try using a spawning mop. There used to be a killifish group in Houston, TAKO, but they are in a state of limbo right now as I was told the last president moved out of the country and no one has stepped up to the plate.
        PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

I do have a MOP in there already but they seem to ignore it I think. At first they where bitting it and tying to eat it! Haha but idk maybe they will see it and learn. I have flooting plants on the top where they like to spend alot of time.
          And that sux that they left. You know of anyone else into Killis?

Comment

Nick, was not aware you had Mangrove killi's. I have always been interested in attempting them. I assume you keep them in a tank of their own? It would certainly be a cool addition to a small brackish tank or species aquarium.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

So who has some killis for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                Nick, was not aware you had Mangrove killi's. I have always been interested in attempting them. I assume you keep them in a tank of their own? It would certainly be a cool addition to a small brackish tank or species aquarium.
                Are you intertested in one? One can be kept in one of those mini tanks from 0.5-2 gallons with no problems.
                PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

They certainly sounds interesting and I have been meaning to get you some sleeper gobies as well, this time in I'll hit you up and see about trading.
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

I have Fundus "cingulatus" Milton, FL in my garden pond. I will be willing to sell or trade a pair or two.

Comment

Well lots of activity for killifreaks. We only get together for the show or the National. We are too busy pulling mops or in my case, checking peat. I keep only a few species of South American Annuals, some Rivulus, and Scriptaphiosemions, along with two or three tanks of various Fundulus species. I have had some success with marmoratus. Three or four years back one of my friends sent me a half dozen of them. I kept them in five gallon bare bottom tanks filled with four inch by 3/4 inch or !/2 pvc pipe. I followed the lab directions for temperature, salinity etc. I fed brine shrimp of mixed sizes so that the babies would have food at all times.
                      Not very prolific in my tanks but each had a small group of fry. I lost them to a power outage during a freeze.
                      On your gardneri, loach problems would be my guess. Go to wallmart and get a cheap plastic container with a lid about 6" x 12" x 8" high. Fill and treat te water(use bottled drinking water along with some pf uour aquarium water. Place the fish in a zip lock baggie in their regular and carefully9over several hours) introduce a little of the new water at a time. Release them into the new container, add a floating mop and cover (they jump). Yous should see eggs after a few days. Feed them brine shrimp, blood worms, and a good flake food but not too much. A small sponge filter would be great. I make my own.

Good luck.
                      sigpic
                      No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
                      AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
                      LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
                      AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
                      NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
                      MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

I am very interested in one. I'll get my small tank ready now. When can I pick him up?

UPDATE: I went to Fish Gallery today and got a pair of Clown Killies. I put them in a 1.5 gallon tank with hornwort.

I understand the TAKO killifish group is not active at this time, but I would really appreciate any notices when they do meet again.

Thank you in advance.
                        Last edited by Reptiles; 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X