Xander brought me a present...at 5am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xander brought me a present...at 5am

Some of you know, many of you don't...Xander is my cat. Something else some of you know, many of you don't...I'm a night person, and I work from home, so my general sleep hours are from about 2am to about 8am. Last night was a little different. I fell asleep at about 3am, and I was sleeping GOOD. But at 5am, I woke up to what sounded like someone sneezing right by my head. CHH! CHH! I felt Xander up on the bed by my feet so I knew it wasn't him, but I was still in that 1/2 sleep area where things weren't totally making sense...you know that stage? Anyway, I was slipping back into sleep and Xander started darting around the bed...you know how cats do when you move your hand under the covers or something and they are 'hunting' that unknown prey? So, I woke up to see what the hell he was doing. I reached over and turned on the lamp and that's when I got a glimpse of something sliding off the bed, and I heard it land on the floor. Now I'm AWAKE. I got out of bed and looked on the floor and there it was....a baby possum. It's no more than 4" long. I grabbed a washcloth and scooped it up and came in to get on the computer and see what the 'rules' are for baby possums. I really wanted to just put it back outside and have the mother come get it. I couldn't find anything online that indicated that would happen. So I emailed Mzungu. Surprisingly she was up. No surprisingly, she responded right away and told me exactly what to do and where to take it today. She's awesome.

I made a nice little warm nest for the baby to kick back in while I got a little more sleep until the TX Wildlife Rehabilitation Commission opened today. He is curled up sleeping like a...well, like a baby possum.

And you know what the strangest part of this whole thing is? Xander is a bad***. Seriously. He has punked out more dogs than anyone would believe, including a pit bull he cornered in our yard once. But this tiny orphaned possum doesn't have a scratch on it. Not a single mark.

Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

I was hoping you would take pictures! Yay! How cute...I wanna see that hat when he's done with it. I'm intrigued. )

I love that Xander didn't hurt the little guy - that's great. Man, I wish I could hear his side of the story.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

That pic was when he was still in the washcloth. I tried getting pics of him in the hat...I have a couple, but they suck. Here's one....all snuggled down in the hat. )

I know!! How strange is it that Xander brought it to me, unscathed!? Thank you again, MB...you have no idea how grateful I am for your help.

Our Fishhouse

Comment

wow! i would of screamed. then screamed some more. and probably kept on screaming.

we had to take a baby bird to the wildlife center one time, they're really nice and helpful!

Comment

baby opposums are cool you should have made him your pet. a friend of mine in high school had a mom give birth under him trailer house and they kept getting in so se befreinded a couple and played with 'em for a while.
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I have enough pets.

She (they showed me her pouch) ) has now been dropped off at TWRC. They are so freaking nice there!! I got a list of items that they always need. They are a Non-Profit organization. I figure I'll list them here in case anyone is feeling charitable.

They are located at 10801 Hammerly Blvd. and their number is 713-468-TWRC in case anyone ever needs it.

Foods
            Iams Dry Adult Cat Food - Hairball formula
            Purina Cat Chow indoor and regular
            Strained Chicken baby food
            Purina Puppy Chow
            Can salmon in water
            Whole acorns
            Pecans, walnuts, or almonds - shelled, cracked or whole
            Wildbird seed

Containers
            Glass aquariums *Either holds water or doesn't. Just tell them if it doesn't so they can mark it. Cracks are okay ONLY if they are on the bottom so they don't break during cleaning. All sizes are welcome.
            Plastic butter-type containers for bird nests

Misc
            Heating pads (no auto-shutoff)
            Hand & Bath towels
            Toilet paper
            Facial tissue
            Gallon Storage bags
            Quart storage bags

Cleaning supplies
            Dawn liquid, original blue
            Liquid laundry detergent
            Anti-bacterial wipes
            Liquid anti-bacterial hand soap
            Anti-bacterial hand gel
            Unscented bleach
            Swiffer products
            13, 33 & 55 gallon trash bags

Office supplies
            Ball-point pens
            Small/Large paperclips
            Postage stamps
            White & Pastel copier paper
            Our Fishhouse

Comment

should of threw him in your 210

hahaj/k
              Tropheus Elitist Maximus
              150 Troph & Petro mix Link
              ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
              ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

TWRC is a really great group. I'm so happy she's happy there! (How cute, she has a pouch! Aww...)

Thanks for posting that wish list. :)
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i have some relatives that could have made you a delicious soup and a stylish coin purse...maybe next time. LOL.
                  If it ain't wild caught
                  You ain't doing it right

Comment

(I'm too tired to use words.) )
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

I think I would have screamed as well, but I'm glad the baby was ok. They are cute when they are babies and downright creepy as adults!
                      Karen

Comment

that is so cool....i'm glad the little girl is okay and in safe hands.....
                        possums are really cute when they are little...but when they grow up they can be so very mean.....when i owned my 2 acres out in the country i used to have a momma that gave birth often in my barn.....i would take her food in a bucket and leave it for her every night...of course it would be empty in the am.....but i watched those babies hang on her in travels around the yard....it was cool.....my sister lives in Baytown and has one living under her strorage shed...she feeds it often...and she hasn't had a snake on her property in about 2 years since it's been living there...

cuddo's to xander.....good job buddy....and you too traci
                        thanks for the pictures....

Comment

we should try to get together a bunch of supplies off that list and go donate one day and see if they will let us leave those HFB business cards at their front desk or even post a flyer about us on the window. That way if people are trying to donate/drop off fish, they can point them in our direction and somebody on here might be able to give them a better home.
                          250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

after reading this to the fiance, she now wants a possum as a pet

Comment

They are totally cute! Last year, a juvenile one came through the catdoor and I had to catch him to take him back outside...he 'played possum' as soon as I picked him up. Literally. I worried I had scared it to death until I remembered that's what they do.
                              Our Fishhouse

Comment

Working...
                              X