Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a colony of Dwarf Livebearer's ( Heterandria formosa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a colony of Dwarf Livebearer's ( Heterandria formosa)

I was interested in acquiring a few and restarting a colony. Had some many years ago and they were a lot of fun. I never was able to locate them in the wild, but found them mixed into breeder guppies. Figured someone on here might have some or knew someone willing to part out a few.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

On Aquabid there is a seller in Slidell LA. who goes by Bayoucichlids who sells them, in fact has some selling now. She has good prices, very reasonable shipping charges and ships quickly. I got some (least killifish) from her, as well as some Fundulus chrysotus. Unfortunately, they are in a community tank yith the Fundulus c. and I haven't gotten to see any babies yet, but they look to be ready. I just have to give them a better environment I guess.
    Last edited by riofrio; 03-08-2010, 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Have Net Will Travel

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I managed to locate a few possible wild collection spots and will be giving them a shot in the next few weeks. If they don't pan out I'll certainly be using Aquabid. Hopefully I can get some of those elusive little fish... I do collect Fundulus chrysotus locally, so should you desire more just let me know. I always bring in a ton of them and have more then enough, lol.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

I'd much rather catch wild ones than buy them, but when I found them there on A.B. I wasn't aware the could be found here in Texas. I'd still like to try catching them but I'm probably not going to get to go collecting for a while, since the spots I've heard of are over in Chambers and Jefferson Counties which are quite a way east of Wharton. Any more spots you know of would be good to know.
        I've caught a lot of interesting things along Hwy 59 North between the railroad tracks and the hwy, south of Shepherd. There's a lot of water there that never dried up even in last year's drought.
        Have Net Will Travel

Comment

I have a few spots up in the Woodlands area that is teeming with them. The last few times I went I caught 2-3 different species in the same location. I take trips/outings once a month usually and live in the heights. If you are ever interested let me know and your welcome to come along. Otherwise I'll grab some extras and you can pick them up at your leisure.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

I keep a small colony of H. formosa from local caught stock. If you plan on breeding them i would suggest a ten gallon tank with najas, java moss, duck weed and a few bits of driftwood. I would be interested in your localities could you give me a PM. I am starting a list of local collecting spots for possible field trips.
            sigpic
            No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
            AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
            LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
            AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
            NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
            MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

Working...
            X