No announcement yet.

72 Bow First SW Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't say for sure cause it's not my tank.

But it is possible for him to have a 2 week cycle time if the rocks came from an establish tank.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

the tank was already established when i bought it, so i rinsed the sand with saltwater, and had about 10g from the previous setup. i used water from LFS and mixed instant ocean reef crystals. last sunday i bought the tank and had the sand in the 10g of water. last monday i filled the tank up with saltwater, last tuesday i added 40lb live rock. saturday i added 75lb dead rock the guy i bought it from had i circulating i think in freshwater but there was no growth on it like the live rock i bought. the live rock was all purple. i have been using my freshwater API master kit to test the tank. now some of the results are off so i bought a universial API kit last friday and found out the ammonia was .5 instead of .25, but now it is at 0. the nitrite has always been blue and that is the same color for both. the nitrate has always been yellow but i just found the color card online so it is a darker yellow (like when you drink all night and your morning pee).

here is the chart i am using http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Downloads.html

the ammonia was at .5 sunday and monday it was at .25 and yesterday it was inbetween but it wasn't yellow, today it is yellow
      pepperoni pizza

Comment

That sounds better.
        I'd like to have seen nitrite went up and dropped off but at least the ammonia did.
        I would test again the next couple of days to make sure there is no ammonia and nitrite then start adding a source of ammonia to feed your bacterias. You don't want them to starve and decline.

Comment

here are the results

pepperoni pizza

Comment

and how do i feed them? what do i do to add ammonia

also i am having some i guess algae on my rocks and sand. it is a brownish color and very small hairs, do i need to get some snails. i want to get a diamond goby but i think i need pods to feed him. the algae seems like a dust that i can brush off my rocks so i don't know what it is. cannot take pics of it, won't be able to see
            pepperoni pizza

Comment

you should be able to go ahead and put a clean up crew in the tank, that should be the first thing added before any other livestock. just put a small amount of food in there to raise the ammonia.
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Cut a tiny piece from a fresh shrimp and throw it in there. It rots very fast and will provide all the ammonia you need. Don't put in a whole shrimp, that would be too much.

Comment

so what does a clean up crew consist of
                  pepperoni pizza

Comment

ok looked up clean up crew, but i don't know what to get or how many to get. think i will go to LFS after work today.
                    pepperoni pizza

Comment

The rock should be enough. Wait for tank to cycle, or add a damsel to help cycle. Damsels are aggressive, but 1 in a 72 gallon is should be fine. I have 2 that are mean in my 75 gallon that will only jack with free swimming smaller fish. They wont mess with larger clowns, tangs, dwarf angels, and bottom fish like mandarins and scooters. Or go with chromis like rage stated. I sugest researching a fish b4 purchasing. NEVER BUY ON IMPULSE!!!!!!!! and NEVER ADD MORE THAN 2 FISH AT A TIME, if just starting out.
                      75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

ok bought 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 turbo snail, 4 artesian snails, and two true percs
                        pepperoni pizza

Comment

the crabs are going to town. looks like two fat people at an all you can eat buffet. shoveling it in with both hands
                          pepperoni pizza

Comment

Originally posted by zerocool View Post
                            the crabs are going to town. looks like two fat people at an all you can eat buffet. shoveling it in with both hands
                            The crabs can really go to town on your other inhabitants. Be weary. Be very weary.

Comment

wish it showed the pic. the research i did on them said they where reef safe and the wifey had to have them so i made her put one in the tank. cannot complain though i really need them. lots of brown algae and detrius.
                              pepperoni pizza

Comment

I would go with snails first. Then add the crabs as needed. But if you are getting a package deal then go for it.

Crabs can get a little hostile towards other mates in the tank but in my experience if you keep them feed they are way more chill.
                                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                                X