No announcement yet.

Anyone ever have SD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fungal/parasitic black spots is not as common but not unheard of, esp from carps, minnows and other cold water fish that were housed or raised in ponds and/or with a large snail population."
    Ammonia burn is the most common reason for black spots on goldfish, especially those that have been in a tank for about 2-3 weeks but can occur in setups longer than that due to poor water quality and/or lack of regular weekly water changes (about 1/3 each week for a tank 20g or over - any container less than 20gal should have 1/3 changed every 4 days) or if more fish are added. Goldfish are messy eaters meaning they don't always consume everything you feed and they excrete a high amount of ammonia wastes - the combination of uneaten food and high ammonia will cause such high concentrations that is poisonous and will literally burn the gills and skin of the fish. regular water changes (of similar temperature) and a water conditioner such as Prime will heal the fish and maintain optimal water quality.Fungal/parasitic black spots is not as common but not unheard of, esp from carps, minnows and other cold water fish that were housed or raised in ponds and/or with a large snail population.Black spots on gold fishIf the black spots are standing up it is fungal. You need to treat for a fungal infection right away. Usually black spots are just an indicator your fish is recovering from an infection and they are signs of healing. Continue with your weekly 1/4 water change outs and don't forget to add aquarium salt. One heaping tablespoon per five gallons. If it appears fungal increase salinity to 0.3%.

You have lots of snails in that tank? Or maybe you could do a parasite treatment just to be safe...

Everything else I'm reading about mentions ammonia poisoning, but that isn't the case since you already tested the water.
    Last edited by Sea-agg09; 02-17-2010, 02:01 AM.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

Comment

I've had that happen twice over the 20+ years I've kept discus, Brian. Same thing, fine in the morning and dead when I get home from work. No indication whatsoever that there was any problem beforehand. Don't beat yourself up. Fish sometimes die from heart attacks after getting spooked by a shadow. I lost a gorgeous blue diamond a few years ago after he got spooked by the cat jumpng on the tank. He swam straight up and into the glass lid. He lasted a couple days before he died.

I personally think you've done a great job with your discus. Y ou put in the time to research and ask questions and made a very nice home for them.

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Thanks Mark. Well I was sure he wouldnt make it through the night. Woke up and ran to the QT tank and he is up swimming all black spots are gone. Fins are all fully erect.

I will keep him under survailence and report back. I am still shocked by what happened this was the Alpha male. They only thing I can think of was there was a fight for boss without any actual bites and he lost and was stressed out
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Awesome news.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

??? I thought he was already dead????
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank
            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

No darn near it. I just assumed he was going to be in short but he proved me wrong. He was breathing but just floating around the QT tank when I took those pics.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

he was jealous you didn't pay him the attention he wanted. he seen you playing with you SW and not him so he showed you. it just like kids
                pepperoni pizza

Comment

Maybe
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Got home and now he has beginning of fin rot.

Guess its better than him being dead. Started Furan-2 on him hope it goes away quick. I guess I am worried about the same thing with my other one starting all over on another fish.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                      Thanks Mark. Well I was sure he wouldnt make it through the night. Woke up and ran to the QT tank and he is up swimming all black spots are gone. Fins are all fully erect.

I will keep him under survailence and report back. I am still shocked by what happened this was the Alpha male. They only thing I can think of was there was a fight for boss without any actual bites and he lost and was stressed out
                      Dude, this is whack!

What a false alarm!
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Hey its my mad skills that kept this dude alive. Why you hatin
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

+1 Strange. possibly internal , but weird. I guess ( it happens )

Comment

I think Brian totally made this up to get attention.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

WE dude I posted pics too
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I don't even think that was a picture of your fish man.
                                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                                X