Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I ressurected some Zombies...(old equip questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I ressurected some Zombies...(old equip questions)

Ok so I went diggin in the shed after a quick lil convo with someone about filtration. Here are a few things I have found:
    A disgusting nasty Vortech Diatom Filter with rust that I cleaned:

A Old Skimmer from one of my "small" dinosaurs that still RIP in the shed. It is Halfway Cleaned. (excuse the catbox, I didnt realize it until after I uploaded it heh)

Some Dead rock which I plan to seed and supplement with live rock as well:
    chunks:

dead coral:

My fave peice...its like a goblet with a nice lil bowl:

same peice (ignore my tattoo LOL)

Now keep in mind these abominations have been sitting in the shed for well over 7 years. The only one Im really worried about is the Diatom filter. It was in pretty bad condition and hasnt been oiled in that long. The paint has also chipped from the head and is rusty. I am not sure it works.
    I was planning on using this stuff for a 30G oceanic Cube tank. Do you think this will be adequate filtration or should I add somthing like a HOB Aquaclear filter? I dont have room for a sump, and the skimmer is kinda sorta pushin it as well. I just noticed it could be a HOT. Im trying to save as much money as possible so thats why Im askin about zombie gear. I will also have a couple of powerheads as well for circulation.
    ANY INPUT/OPINIONS ARE WELCOME! THANKS GUYS!
    <3 Kitty
    40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

That diatom is newer than some of mine, it has a plastic jar
    add a little oil, let it soak over night and plug it in.
    If it doesn't run I'll buy it for parts (one of mine has a cracked pump housing)
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

lol sounds good to me
      )

Comment

Dont know anything about the filter, but as long as oil cant get into the water your good. The protien skimmer is adequate for that tank size. Rocks are good, try seeding the tank with live sand or at least 1 live rock from the lfs.
        75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

Good collection of stuff there!

Keep us updated on how the set-up goes.

I like that some of your rocks too!
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Dead corals

Be mindful about the dead corals, they are not the same as live rocks.
            After a few months in the tank the live rocks smelled fresh, and the dead corals stunk to high heaven.

I used to have a couple of large nice looking pieces of dead corals in my tank. There were stuffs in them which decayed and smelled real bad. I am sure they produced a lot of waste/ ammonia ...

Comment

when adding even rock to a tank there can be some microscopic die off which can raise ammonia. That is why when ever adding anything to a tank, add little by little. Remember the faster you fly the harder the fall.

Comment

by the way the rocks look sweet!

Comment

lol thanks guys! I dont even plan on stickin with the dead coral as I just think it would look out of place. I am also planning on doing half and half with the rocks. (half live and half dead) maybe more live than dead, i unno yet I'll have to play around with it.

The diatom filter is shot, and if it isnt, I dont feel like fixing it. I cant figure out how to work the skimmer without a sump so Im just gonna clean it up and put it back up until I can afford to put up my old huge tanks again.

I also found a old wet/dry trickle system I could use as a sump/fuge but I think im going to just go with a DIY thing out of an AGA. I dont think the sump would fit under the Oceanics stand anyways from what I've measured online.

And last but not least I found a old Fludized Bed Filter.................Seastorm? I have NO CLUE wtf this is or what it does. I just rememebr the power going out and everything dying so needless to say, it has some bad memories attached to it LOL!!!

HOPEFULLY sunday I will be setup and running. My money had BETTER be in by friday LOL!!! /shakes fist at the government!!

Comment

Working...
                  X