Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reptiles import restrictions coming up

Well folks....

It looks like that there are some additional restrictions coming upon the reptile world and its just another step, another stab and another foray into limiting what comes into the country....

Read the link below

I will have to say, it certainly is understandable when people are irresponsible and the problems now have multiplied to where in some places, the snakes will never be gotten rid of unless we drop temperatures to 20 below for a month......

Sad to say,,,, our apathetic attitude in not getting involved in situations to where we know what should be done but we don't do it, allows for future hurt like restricting imports.

Remember the saying;

No one did what could have been done
    because
    someone thought that
    someone else would do it.
    When in fact
    Anyone could have done it
    But
    No one wanted to do it...

or something like that.. but the point is.. We have brought a lot of stuff upon ourselves.

Bill

NICK is not going to be happy about this.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Its just import bans, thats actually better for retile fans. It nows means that more people will work on capitve husbandry of the species that are proposed to be banned. In which case wild collection and outsourcing will decrease. Always a good thing!
      Life's to short to worry and too long to wait
      Its too short not to love everybody, and Life's too long to hate

Comment

I miss my Pythons and Boas.
        A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

if they are invasive species... doesnt that mean they can be caught in the states now... no need to import them...

Comment

Check it out

You folks in Texas get the big 20 foot long 250 lbs snakes. Fascinating topographical map of the potential living areas.
            Of course, lets not forget the potential damage that these invasive species do to the local wildlife...

I am not trying to be a debbie downer, but when we try to breed a snake that potentially can grow in a very quick time to 6 feet and require some pretty strong caging, then what is it that is going to occur when the owner has to move and cannot take his pet with him????

At least North, the things will die come winter, but that is awful too.

No easy answers but the answer is going to be forced upon us. no ifs and or buts

Bill

Comment

have you seen what a pig or dog does to snakes, it is a lot harsher in texas (especially with the pigs) for larger snakes to get a foot hold, but in florida where there are fewer predators (and people that shoot snakes, which is pretty common in texas)
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Pythons and boa's are found all over the everglades, and it is out of control. Because any animal from the African tropics comes through the Miami airport (conveniently next to swamps), escapees are constantly being introduced. While it does stink for people in other parts of the country, there are enough animals already here to establish well-coordinated breeding populations.
                75 planted (Being Renovated)
                Endlers
                gobies
                lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
                X