The 2010 Big Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2010 Big Freeze

I just checked my 800 gal (36" deep) pond temp at 51.2 F (Thur 5 PM). I have a 250 watt heater and the surface is covered with foam sheathing AND two air mattresses; pretty ugly. I just added another broken 200 watt Ehiem ; It is stuck in the "ON" position but I doubt it will overheat the pond. I am not concerned about the Koi , but a couple weeks ago zebra and giant danios and swordtails were still alive.
    I have been putting hot water into a bird bath; quite a few birds are coming for water. I got the idea seeing Robins standing on the foam board to drink from the pond (a few days ago).

so what happen are they ok?

Comment

I have computer problems , so usually can't post. As of today ,water 52F , it was down to 48F or lower. I still see a few swordtails (?).

Comment

That post worked ; I'll try again. I have had the 250 w heater in ,and covered most of the time. The 300w heater burned out sometime the first week it was on. I think there are also some danios left. Very suprising because the global warming has kept so cold for so long. I also turned on the 40' stream the last few days.
        Defiately are danios; They hit flake food on the surface- even at 52F !
        Last edited by blacksmith37; 02-21-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I guess this is the same topic: Duckweed, val, and parrot feather(mirophyllim) can all tolerate being frozen. A while ago I picked up a 1/2" thick layer of ice full of duck weed , looked surreal. (From a 29 on the deck that gets pretty cold). Today that same duck weed is fine.

Comment

Darn, another blast of global warming ; freeze predicted for tomorrow night !!
            Last edited by blacksmith37; 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Mar.4, temp 54F; Its a miracle -my son adjusted the computer. And some of the swords and danios are alive. When I took off the foam sheathing ,there seemed to be nothing but Koi, but a little flake food brought a bunch of action. The swords nibble but the danios "hit " the food like trout hitting flys. I hope the global warming is over for this winter. My orchids look pretty poor ,being inside for so long.

Comment

it is so weird this winter. The front half was really mild in my opinion, but this back half has been colder than I can remember in a long time.

Hope all your fishes are ok..
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

big freeze?

check out the pond after 9" of snow hit us last month
                  Attached Files
                  Duc
                  Dallas Koi Kichi Group (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
                  Houston ZNA Moto Kara Koi Kai (www.mkk-zna.org)
                  IKONA (www.koishack.com)
                  No Showa Left Behind
                  Friendship Through Scales
                  Proud Subscriber/Support of KOI USA, the official magazine of The AKCA (www.akca.org)

Comment

thats a cool pic. hope everything survived.
                    25g - Reef
                    3.5g - Surge Tank
                    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

our winters are normally not as cold as this past year's.

but for instances like this, going 6' deep really helps the koi deal with the weather.

the earth is a great insulator

i think i'll feed them some wheat germ for the first time today. been fasting them since last week in nov
                      Duc
                      Dallas Koi Kichi Group (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
                      Houston ZNA Moto Kara Koi Kai (www.mkk-zna.org)
                      IKONA (www.koishack.com)
                      No Showa Left Behind
                      Friendship Through Scales
                      Proud Subscriber/Support of KOI USA, the official magazine of The AKCA (www.akca.org)

Comment

Working...
                      X