"beaked" livebearer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "beaked" livebearer

(I apologize for spamming up differant sections with a new thread, but each one of my questions really would have a way better chance gettiong answered if i asked it in the right topic area. D:)

Ok, Now I have been scouring through the forums I troll for this pic of a livebearer I saw that looked long and thin with a "beak". It was said to be rare and blah blah and I reallllllly am trying to remember the name of it to see if it was really a livebearer and do some research on it if it was.

It was apparantly commercially available, because someone bought it from their LFS, but just really hard to get ahold of. Does this sound familiar/logical/believeable to anyone?
    40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

The freshwater halfbeaks of the genera Dermogenys, Hemirhamphodon, and Nomorhamphus are all livebearers, that is, they do not lay eggs but instead produce well-developed free-swimming young.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Nice fish.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

sweet, I was really interested in it, and thats saying ALOT for a livebearer ;3

/goes to google
        40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

Comment

It sounds like it MAY be the Belonesox belizanus, which according to TPWD is listed as a "prohibited species".So I wouldn't say much else until I looked up some photos to be sure. LOL
          Have Net Will Travel

Comment

More than likely one of the Dermogenys pusillus group that are imported from Thailand and Indonesia. Seasonal import but used to be quite common. Check with your local petstore dealer for times of availability. Easy to keep in a 10 to 20 gallon well planted tank. They are surface feeders and usually take flake food. To breed, you will need to add live and frozen foods to their diet. There are four or so subspecies with minor color variations between each. I would suggest buying in trios.
            sigpic
            No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
            AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
            LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
            AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
            NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
            MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

Working...
            X