My DIY breeder tank idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY breeder tank idea

As mentioned on another thread, my son will be doing a breeding project for his third grade science fair. One of my biggest concerns was that mom or dad would eat the babies. Based upon our research, this is what I was able to find out:

1) Parents might eat young.
    2) Placing mom in a breeder box might cause stress resulting in birthing complications.

This got me thinking that if I could find a way for the fish to always stay in a large birthing box mom could do her thing without being bothered.

Important note - I don't have any fry to test this yet, so try at your own risk.

Here is the setup that I built.

I bought the Tetra Aquarium 5 gallon starter kit. This kit comes with:
    Aqua-Tech 5-15 HOB filter
    5 gallon glass aquarium
    Hood and light
    misc. goodies

The HOB filter has a U shaped intake tube that hangs down into the tank. The outlet pours back into the tank from the other side. Simply stated, the outlet and inlet are on opposite sides of the filter.

I then cut a plexiglass divider to seperate the intake and outlet sides of the tank. My plexiglass divider has a small opening at the bottom that allows water (and very small fish) to pass through the divider to the intake side of the tank. It is my hope that the fry would find themselves getting sucked through to the intake side of the tank and would be naturally seperated from mom and dad. I also covered the intake with a piece of sponge so that the fry would not get sucked into the filter.

Here are some pictures.

Picture of the opening in the bottom of the divider

Top view of the divider which seperates the intake and outlet

Side view of the same

The real trick here is the size of the small opening. Hopefully mine is the correct size. I will post back here after I have fry and see if the idea actually worked.

I would appreciate any input.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Looks good give it a try!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

LOL! FAIL!!!

Within 20 minutes, ALL of the adult guppies were on the wrong side of the divider. Now I have to figure out how to add a make shift adjustable gate to slowly reduce the opening at the bottom of the divider.

I new I should have used mollies instead of guppies.
      Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
        LOL! FAIL!!!

Within 20 minutes, ALL of the adult guppies were on the wrong side of the divider. Now I have to figure out how to add a make shift adjustable gate to slowly reduce the opening at the bottom of the divider.

I new I should have used mollies instead of guppies.
        that was a common problem i shared with most of my DIY breeder tanks etc. I think thats a good idea and dont give up! you can make it work
        I make people happy

Comment

what you need is a strip of wire mesh across the opening at the bottom.
          Stainless steel, aluminum or plastic. the trick is to find the right mesh. )
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I was about to suggest that phish. Rather than a large hole at the bottom, would it not be better to drill small holes through the plexi-glass that the fry can swim through? A small drill bit should do the job. It would be easy enough to add a bunch of plants, or artificial breeding mats (yarn) on the smaller side of the tank. The fry will swim over that way for refuge.
            75 planted (Being Renovated)
            Endlers
            gobies
            lots of nanos

Comment

drilling would give rough edges, better to melt with a soldering iorn.

but with the existing setup the wire could be added.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

good point. a soldering iron seems a bit much, specially for someone like me in an apartment. plastic mesh would be easy to attach and would last as long as the tank.
                75 planted (Being Renovated)
                Endlers
                gobies
                lots of nanos

Comment

All good ideas. I think I like the idea of having an adjustable opening in case I don't get it right on my second try. If the short and wide opening doesn't work, I will try an adjustable gate with teeth on it.

One of my concerns is screwing up and ending up with adults or fry stuck in the opening.

In the meantime, the adults are torturing me by becoming increasingly good at swimming both directions through the opening.

I made it to the hardware store right after they closed and I couldn't get the supplies needed for the modifications.
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

what about using 2 pieces of eggcrate??

Comment

Originally posted by madehtsobi View Post
                      what about using 2 pieces of eggcrate??
                      This is for guppies, so if I'm correct, he needs to find something with much smaller holes so the adults can't swim through.
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                        This is for guppies, so if I'm correct, he needs to find something with much smaller holes so the adults can't swim through.

yeh i know..2 pieces but put them in a way to close out the "squares"...

like +
                        Last edited by madehtsobi; 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The adjustable gate is in place. The gate on one tank needs a minor modification. All that is left to do is a little trial and error work with the height.

Seems to be working fairly well so far. I have one adult that needs a little fattening up. It keeps slipping through....
                          Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

awesome man, lets see some pics
                            I make people happy

Comment

top view

side view

parts

All I did was bolt a second piece of plexiglass to the divider wall. I used plastic screws traditionally used to fasten a toilet seat to a toilet to avoid corrosion issues. The washers are rubber and they are available in the plumbing section where you buy the plastic bolts. I had to cut the bolts with a hacksaw because they were too long.

The new gate piece of plastic has an long slit rather than a hole so that I can slide the gate up and down and then re-tighten the bolt.
                              Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X