new to guppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to guppies

Hi all I am new to the world of Guppies. My fiancee has three tanks and one he was going to use as a hospital tank but gave it to me, along with 2 pair of guppies. Both of the females are pregnant and the one looks like she will have her young soon. I always thought guppies were beautiful and these ones are very pretty. The males have orange and black stripes on the tails and the females have yellow and black stripes. Any info would be helpful.

Originally posted by melissa View Post
    Hi all I am new to the world of Guppies. My fiancee has three tanks and one he was going to use as a hospital tank but gave it to me, along with 2 pair of guppies. Both of the females are pregnant and the one looks like she will have her young soon. I always thought guppies were beautiful and these ones are very pretty. The males have orange and black stripes on the tails and the females have yellow and black stripes. Any info would be helpful.
    Not sure about the "stripes", but color wise they sound like they are either Mosaics, or Leopards as far as strain goes. Pictures of them would be helpful, there are a few of us on here that are GUPPY CRAZY...lol...me being one of them. Any other questions I can try to answer for you... Welcome to the BOX BTW!
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Thanks for the info, the boys do look like they have tiger stripes on the tails. anyway what can you tell me for when the mom has her babies. Some guy at the local pet store said to put her in a net and when she has her babaies to take her out. Then other things I have read said that if she is not able to free swim she wont have them. What about feeding her now. I am feeding 2x a day is that enough or shoulfd she have more

Comment

Feeding twice a day is enough. However to get the maximum growth rate and fins one should feed more often and remember not to feed more than is consumed in five minutes. Drops are bigger if one feeds live foods. If too much is fed it is ok to remove the excess. The babies/drops will be 28 to 30 days apart so it is possible to know when to expect them with a little history and some records. My opinion on the breeding traps/nets is that they are too small/cruel to use for a long time but good if she is actually delivering. If you expect a delivery it is not necessary to have the babies eaten by other fish so one could use a nursery tank for just her. A gallon with lots of hidding places is good. If you are not too concerned with keeping all the babies and growing out the best possible looking guppy then what you have been doing is fine.

max
        Last edited by guppymax; 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

thank you for the information. my mama had her babies during the night about 10 days ago. I saw one baby left and scooped that one up into a fry net and then a few days later saw another and that one is now in the fry net. I saw another today but could not catch him and saw one yesterday get eaten. right now they are in a 20 gallon tank and in a few weeks will be moved to a 30 gallon tank once the angel fish are out of that one and in their new 90 gallon home. My fiance went to somone home and got guppies for me that were free. The females are plain in color and the males were plain also. but over the past few days have been getting some color on them. He says they are mutts but I like the way they are looking. They are very small and the top of the rear fin is getting somewhat longer. The colors on them are spotty but I think pretty, they are orange and a shiney green and on one of them a spot of lavender. they may be mutts but that is fine by me all my dogs have been unwanted too. I am enjoying watching these males get more and more color on them daily.The environment they were in was horrid. They were in with big goldfish in filthy water that was so cloudy you could barely see the goldfish. Nasty, no one no matter if they have legs, fins or wings should have to live like that

Comment

Working...
          X