This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea.... its crazy bright.

someone loaned dennis at FJW Aquariums a plasma setup for the next 2 weeks. Its badass. You guys should check it out if you have some time. I put my hand under the light and could barely feel anything. Retro setup goes for about 1k per fixture.

The bulb is tiny.

here's the post from marsh
    http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php...45783&start=30
    Last edited by soymilk; 03-29-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
      i just finished making a light for my friend.

He's running 4 red crees and 2 royal blue, running at max 700ma. I have to say those suckers are bright!

BTW... if you guys get a chance to, drop by FJW Aquarium. Dennis has a plasma light on display. That thing blows MH away! If they make the bulbs a little cooler color tempeture, i'm in! Imagine a bulb the size of a tic tac, producing as much light as a 400w metal halide (prob more). Doesn't run as hot, bulb last 3-7 years and only uses about 200 watts.

did you drill those leds down?

Comment

Originally posted by juicestain View Post
        did you drill those leds down?
        even though i work in a machine shop, we didn't drill those down. We just used some thermal adhesive to glue em down.

Next time i'm going to wire them up first before mounting them on the heat sink.

Comment

hell with that i want the plasma light.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
          -Stephen Roberts

Comment

Yeah but thats what 1K per unit
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

i got the maxspect 60w about a month ago and just got the 160w in yesturday.

I have some pics of them over my tank, i'll post pics up tomorrow when the lights are on.

So far impressed with the functionality. No dimming, which sucks, but 4 different channels to turn on or off. Build quality is a bit lacking. It had fingerprints and sweat on it. Feels like it was too hastily put together. I guess i'm pretty anal when it comes to new stuff.

The light is BRIGHT! Very comparable to 250w metal halide. Color comes out to about 12k. With just the 3w leds, it looks more like 14-15k 150w metal halide. Just blues looks nice.

Comment

Working...
              X