This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to LEDs

There has been a movement towards the use of LED lights in nano reefs and somewhat in larger reef systems as well. It has been reported by many that LEDs can produce as much lighting power was MH/HQI with a lot less heat. Additionally, the light bulbs on a LED system does not need to be replaced as often.

The goal of this thread is to provided reefers with comprehensive information on understanding LED lighting and the DIY processes.

Below you guys will find some helpful links I have read and as always if you know of anymore please feel free to post them.

1) "Ultimate LED guide"

So I have been asked to do this a few (hundred? )times now, so I figured I would get it out of the way. Hopefully this will provide some education to those looking to dabble in the world of high power LEDs. If you asked for this, here it is. If you didn't, well you're getting it anyways Go grab a...

2) "DIY LEDs- The write-up"

3) "Comprehensive DIY LED Project List"

We have a pretty active DIY LED movement going on here at Nano-Reef and it's starting to become a little hard to find all of the fantastic builds that everyone has done so far. We have a lot more builds coming in the future, so it would be great to get a comprehensive list of everyones projects s...

Two links from the planted tank world by it deals with some general info on LED:

1) http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2009/09/...ng-part-1.html

1) http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2009/10/...ng-part-2.html
    Last edited by myjohnson; 12-28-2009, 10:36 AM. Reason: edit to make gotticgs and EK happy
    I ate my fish that died.

Edit homie and put the brew down....

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
    There was been a movement towards the use of LED lights in nano reefs and somewhat in larger reef systems as well. It was been reported by many that LEDs can produce as much lighting power was MH/HQI with a lot less heat. Additionally, the light bulbs on a LED system does not need to be replace was often.

The goal of this thread is to provided readers with comprehensive information on understand LED lighting and even DIY processes.

Below you guys will find some helpful links I have read and as always if you know of anymore please feel free to post them.

1) "Ultimate LED guide"

So I have been asked to do this a few (hundred? )times now, so I figured I would get it out of the way. Hopefully this will provide some education to those looking to dabble in the world of high power LEDs. If you asked for this, here it is. If you didn't, well you're getting it anyways Go grab a...

2) "DIY LEDs- The write-up"

3) "Comprehensive DIY LED Project List"

We have a pretty active DIY LED movement going on here at Nano-Reef and it's starting to become a little hard to find all of the fantastic builds that everyone has done so far. We have a lot more builds coming in the future, so it would be great to get a comprehensive list of everyones projects s...

Two links from the planted tank world by it deals with some general info on LED:

1) http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2009/09/...ng-part-1.html

1) http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2009/10/...ng-part-2.html
    Tropheus Elitist Maximus
    150 Troph & Petro mix Link
    ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
    ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

This can also be beneficial to any tank
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I got some LED lights for a plant tank and I am mostly happy with them. The only problems I have is I would like to have a little more control over the percentage of bulbs on at one time. And the color temp is not my perfered color @ 6500K. Other than that it is a good light system I have more light and less heat than I would for a conventional lighting system.
        Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Please post pictures if you have the time. Is yours a DIY system?
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

No not DIY, found it on Ebay for about $40 here is link to what I have http://cgi.ebay.com/225-WHITE-LED-Aq...item5ad24d76dc

I hate posting ebay links so here is a pic

it is sold by "Hydroponic" dealers on ebay so I have a feeling that after I bought it the DEA is now monitoring my account

The panel is 12"x12" and would fit perfectly on a ADA 30c I currently have it on a JBJ 3 gallon as seen here. http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/sh...ad.php?t=31066

Comment

What is the equivalent wattage for this?
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Are LEDs "dimmable"?
                Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Yes led's are dimable. You need to use a Potentiometer. Usually a 10kohm linear taper. also use this calculator to figure out what resistors you need to run in line with the led's. do not ever directly drive an led without a resistor in line or its life span will be very short.

here is the led calculator.

hope this helps.
                  People who stand for nothing will fall for everything.

30 cube ( Hi tech planted)(for sale)
                  29 bio cube (reef)
                  20 cube (kids tank)

Comment

I have no idea what the equivalent wattage is other than a little on the high side. The Anubias nana petie is having problems similar to what I have seen when too much light is applied. I have covered some of the bulbs with electrical tape in that area to help shade the anubias and this helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin View Post
                      Yes led's are dimable. You need to use a Potentiometer. Usually a 10kohm linear taper. also use this calculator to figure out what resistors you need to run in line with the led's. do not ever directly drive an led without a resistor in line or its life span will be very short.

here is the led calculator.

hope this helps.
                      Way over my head, but yes. thank you! I've always wanted to create a light bank of LED's that could be programmed to simulate the sun's rise and fall over a tank.

This hasn't already been done and convienently packaged for me to buy has it?
                      Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Yes it has been done but its not cheap....
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                          Yes it has been done but its not cheap....
                          Unfortunately, yes. "Not cheap" is an understatement. :)
                          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I don't think the led fixture above is strong enough for corals.
                            "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

No, the LED fixture I posted I would not use for coral on if for the K rating. It would be strong enough for a small tank as far as intensity goes, but again the K rating is about 6500K and all wrong for corals.

Comment

Working...
                              X