Clown fish and Sea Anomone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clown fish and Sea Anomone

what kind of coral or whatever it is that you see clown fish living in and how hard is it to keep them?
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

This one
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I have wanted to start with like the 29G cube AIO
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

If I had a nano with like one big one of the above and a couple of clowns and maybe seahorses and one other type of fish that would be pimp
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

you are referring to a sea anemone. Some are easier then others to take care of. Saddle carpets, saddle back anemone, and haddoni anemone are a few. Their tentacles are shorter and knobby and usually densely packed.

They don't need super lighting and can take some levels of nitrate, maybe around 20-30ppm.
          Last edited by myjohnson; 11-01-2009, 01:14 AM. Reason: sp
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

These are supposedly easier to keep and look cool. I am going to be in so much trouble
            Entacmaea quadricolor
            Macrodactyla doreensis
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
              I have wanted to start with like the 29G cube AIO
              Originally posted by Darbex View Post
              If I had a nano with like one big one of the above and a couple of clowns and maybe seahorses and one other type of fish that would be pimp
              A 29g could house a small group of clowns. If you pack the tank with anemone (which I think looks good) then you got to watch what you keep in there. Those anemone will eat other fishes. Also watch your stocking level b/c you don't want nitrates to go to high.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

sea horses wont work in that type of setup they really need to be in a species tank.... anemones do require good amount of light and feedings about once a week...a carpet anemone with 3-5 clowns in a 30g would be awesome
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank
                10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

check out this guys carpet anemone....

....not to mention his entire setup
                  25g - Reef
                  3.5g - Surge Tank
                  10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
                    i read that entire write up...gorgeous tank and a huge inspiration
                    I make people happy

Comment

Awesome set-up thats a lot of work and plumbing through the house. I think I could also go for some of the soft corals. I just like the long fingers of them watching them sway in the current
                      Resident fish bum
                      330G FOWLR
                      34G Reef
                      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Brain, look into zoanthids. They are one of the best soft corals. Some are very colorful and most are good starter corals. They are also small so it will make your 29g look even bigger.

They don't have long tentacles like anemones but look really cool to me.

There is GSP (green star polyps) they look more like anemones but do not requires as much light or feeding. They are not as pricey was other corals. I even see people giving this stuff away on marsh from time to time.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Here is a picture of a GSP in hopes of pushing Brian over the edge. )

I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Dude i would reccomend that if you are only setting up a 29g, not to put alot of fish. Salt water is vastly different than fresh and nitrates play a huge roll in the success of a tank. If you were wanting to do an anemone be very aware of the type you choose. Looking at the above listed suggestions imo i would suggest you start with a gbta ( green bubble tip anemone ). These are not one of the easiest to keep, but are easier than carpets, and one that any clown will host. The problem is that they are a lil expensive. If you buy any type of condylactis anemone your clown wont host, cause it will get stung by it. If you buy the blue tipped type then you limit yourself to tomatoe clowns.

Now if you are wanting kinda an easier maintinace tank, where you could use less light, look into getting a torch coral. Torches have long flowing tenticles that look just like an anemone and clowns will usually host them. have also seen clowns host forgspawn and hammers, but none as redily as a torch.
                            Got Dovii??? I do!!!

Comment

Lighting isnt a problem I just want something that is easy to care for so I can get my feet wet
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X