Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to install an overflow without drilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to install an overflow without drilling?

I really want to install an overflow box on my 72 gallon tank but I really don't want to drill the bank of my tank. Is it possible to setup an overflow without drilling the tank?

Some pictures of an installation like this might be helpful.

Thanks.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

yeah...you can just use an overflow HOB box.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

ill take some pics of my overflow in a bit
      I make people happy

Comment

or diy with pvc....
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

How about something like this? I'm thinking about an overflow myself.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zVGwdRVHU4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zVGwdRVHU4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
          "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

Yep.
            What you need is an overflow box, a sump and a return pump. For your 72 i would suggest a Proclear 75 or 125 with a mag 5 or 7.5, depend of how much flow you want. Also if you are planning add co2 to your tank, a wet & dry is not the way.

PS: wet & dry is common name for the kind of filtration that you are asking for.
            Attached Files

Comment

ya those are pretty nice but PRICEY
              I make people happy

Comment

i have a proclear 150 on my 90 with a mag 7....for yours i would do a proclear 125 with a mag 7 .... unless you plan on co2, then a canister
                I make people happy

Comment

yup pricey but inside real estate is premium. Are there any other overflow that's good out there? I curious now.
                  "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by tnguyen View Post
                    yup pricey but inside real estate is premium. Are there any other overflow that's good out there? I curious now.
                    tons, and the DIY ones are great too...as long as they work, theyre good lol...if youre looking for space and price then a diy one provides optimal space and the lowest price, its win win
                    I make people happy

Comment

Originally posted by mark razmandi View Post
                      i have a proclear 150 on my 90 with a mag 7....for yours i would do a proclear 125 with a mag 7 .... unless you plan on co2, then a canister
                      You are ready for trophs man, rid of those geos !!!

Comment

lol i love my geos and my trophs are gonna be in a 7ft with a proclear 300 with a huge pump, 2 ac110s, 2 modded k4s and a couple canisters
                        I make people happy

Comment

I am using a cannister. It sounds like that might make a difference. Does the overflow have to be a syphon? It seems like that is a risky setup to use. If your water level drops, your pump is going to fry.
                          Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                          150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                          17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                          5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                          3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

yup wet/drys run alot more risk for over flowing and making a mess, if youre still not using tops, you are gonna have to top off your water or adjust your overflow maybe everyday.
                            I make people happy

Comment

i run mine open top ,using fluorescent bulbs and never have to top off before a water change(once a week) if your running halides i could see evaporation being an everyday problem.
                              25g - Reef
                              3.5g - Surge Tank
                              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Working...
                              X