Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saltwater?

so tempting......
    "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

if that's the dark side, then it's been luring me for a long time. $$$ been keeping me away but with frag. I might have to revisit and talk to the dark side and see if it's possible.
      "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

sweeet! thanks for the addition traci.
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by tnguyen View Post
          if that's the dark side, then it's been luring me for a long time. $$$ been keeping me away but with frag. I might have to revisit and talk to the dark side and see if it's possible.
          don't fight it man!

if you keep trophs then money is about the same really.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

pretty much.....
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank
            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I have wanted salt but to scared
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

It's like freshwater man. Just depends on what you want to keep.

If you want to keep fishes only then it's as simple as picking the right fishes and doing a water change. With the right set-up you might not even have to do a water change and only top off.

Keeping corals is harder but it's almost like a planted tank. I would say an all out planted tank is just as hard if not harder then a coral tank.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I have a saltwater tank and I have to admit... I have it easy... I was given a small 20 gal tank with EVERYTHING. They even brought the original tank water and live rock. So... I highly recommend buying an already set up tank and putting the water in buckets to transport, OR starting from scratch and doing setting it up the long way... to do it right.
                  5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                  20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                  29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                  29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                  29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                  55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                  75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                  / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

I want a reef tank with corals and clowns and such. My biggest fear is how to mix salt and water and where to store them.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Well I already have a 5 RO unit and 1/10 hp chiller. I'm thinking about keeping SPS in a 40-50 gal tank. Not sure what kind of lighting but most likely 250w MH. Not sure what other equipment I need. wet dry filter with protein skimmer?

Comment

It's never a good idea to not change water on any tank and especially a fish only.

We used to mix our saltwater in the garage in a new trash can about 24 hours before we planned on doing a water change.

You can use a wet dry or cannister filter, but for us refugium is the only way to go. If you read up on it you'll find lots of opinions.
                        Karen

Comment

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
                          It's never a good idea to not change water on any tank and especially a fish only.
                          Not that I'm a big time advocate of not doing water changes for any system, but if you have the right SW set-up then you can get away with it.

If you have a big protein skimmer and a good refugium with plenty of macro algae then you can do two things to avoid doing a water change so often. First, you dose to replenish the water of nutrients that the corals need. Second, the macroalgae sucks up all the nitrates before there is a critical build-up.

I also agree in a general sense that a water change is the best way to do the two things stated above.
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I could see doing that system if you had a coral only tank or corals with inverts, but not a fish only tank. Generally when people do fish only tanks they have a big bio load and no fuge/skimmer combo is going to eliminate that.

In a coral only tank with lots of live rock and a good fuge then maybe it could be done successfully, but I can't imagine any fish only tank thriving long term without water changes.
                            Karen

Comment

salt water is sooooooo EASY !!! Just do it right from the get go, and you'll have no problems.... Don't take the easy road. Coral is actually easier to keep then s/w fish IMHO. but regardless, Learn it, understand it, and it will be the easiest thing. I just top off, and after a few months when I just feel like it for no particular reason I will do a small water change.
                              Resident BUM !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X