Dwarf Puffer Community tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Puffer Community tank

Can dwarf puffers coexist in a heavily planted tank with community type fish (platies, mollies, angels)? Tank is a 29g and was looking to get 3 of them...

Will it work?

I think they would be fine. :)
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

i am not worried about the puffer... im more worried that they will go around nipping everyone's fins.

Comment

If you are talking about the pea sized puffers - they did fine in my planted tank for quite a while. My tank's parameters went off because of unforseen circumstances and I came home to find them as snail food. However I didn't have any problems with aggression. Each of my 3 claimed and area and I could find them in that area any day. This was only a 30 gallon.
        5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
        20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
        29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
        29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
        29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
        55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
        75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
        / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

I did a lot of research about Indian dwarf puffers and the best site I came to was http://www.dwarfpuffers.com and my current setup was heavily influenced by that site. They are known to be just as aggressive as most larger puffers. And those angelfish will be target number one with those long fins waiting to be nipped.

Puffers that I've read have a chance at doing well in a community tank would be one avocado puffer (they have them at Fish Gallery) or one Amazon puffer. Either way, don't put more than one.

For dwarves, you can keep one male, one female, two females, or two females and one male. I have two females right now and they're doing fine with a few otocinclus (again, an idea I took from that website... I really suggest you check it out).
          Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Comment

i kept 2 in my 10, which i thought it was one male one female, but i was wrong, the skinny one was beating up pretty badly by the fatter one and becomes food for the shrimps and snails.... i would just keep them by them self... i got few guppies in it, and he loves to nip on those fins...

Comment

well..i think puffers all have different personalities, same with dwarf...
              sometimes they just will bite and sometimes they just dont...

Comment

Originally posted by madugo View Post
                well..i think puffers all have different personalities, same with dwarf...
                sometimes they just will bite and sometimes they just dont...
                That's true, but it's also true that more of them bite than don't, right? And those that do can suddenly change their mind down the road.

Anyway, it's so hard to tell that if you want to try it, at least have a contingency plan if you need to remove the puffer quickly.
                Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
                  That's true, but it's also true that more of them bite than don't, right? And those that do can suddenly change their mind down the road.

Anyway, it's so hard to tell that if you want to try it, at least have a contingency plan if you need to remove the puffer quickly.
                  yes i agree with you, and i also think puffers should have their own tank.
                  you just never know what would happen...
                  but if people really want to have dwarf puffer in the community tank, i think the best shot would be put in some fast swimming fish, maybe like some fast swimming tetras..
                  when i had my dwarf puffers, i also had bumblebee gobys in there, they did fine, but again bumblebee gobys are brackish, so its not recommend for fresh water...
                  again, i would say, just have the plant tank with DPs only, because if you put them in a community tank, you would never know if nipping will happen, maybe they will not nip for the first few month, once they have their territories, they might starting to nip or attach other fishes.

Comment

Working...
                  X