the budget aquarist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the budget aquarist

Everyone knows (and I have learned, to my chagrin) that there's a lot of cheap crap out there as far as tank equipment goes. But there are a few inexpensive things I've found that I don't regret buying.

So other than DIY stuff, what have you guys found that's saved you a few bucks but has done better than you expected?
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

filter media from where John gets it. Hancock fabric I think. Cheap and works great. No need for cleaning , just cut to size and use a new one every time

Comment

hmmm i gotta say getting glass cut for lids at biswanger instead of buying lids has saved me alot of money....but i dont know if this falls in the category you were talking about
      I make people happy

Comment

My husband works for a glass company, so he has built a few of my growout tanks...not to mention I have 20-100 gal grow out tubs I use as well for the guppies and the plecos.
        BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Wow. Awesome. These are perfect.

Anyone else?
          Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

I've really been thinking hard about this...and the only thing I can really come up with is - USED expensive, brand-name equipment!

Sure, there's the occasional Odyssea fixture or two, and bulbs like Gro-Lux, but all in all, alas, that expensive equipment works. :(
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I've got a few ideas. But you have to show up for the meeting on the 24th to find out. I can't explain it. you just have to see it.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Well, here's something I was thinking about: nighttime illumination.

The cheapie brand Marina sells this little hub. Separately, you buy LED lights that you plug into the hub (up to three). The blue is perfect for nighttime viewing. Both the hub and the lights have suction cups on the back. The hub is stuck to the outside of the tank and the light can go outside or inside. It's best inside as you can angle it how you want. The LED illuminates just enough to give you a peek without disturbing anything. And it's really pretty, too.

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
                  I've got a few ideas. But you have to show up for the meeting on the 24th to find out. I can't explain it. you just have to see it.
                  lol... Is that something like blackmail? :P

Where's the information? I'd love to come if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post

Where's the information? I'd love to come if I can.
                    HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

:) You should definitely try to make it! Lots o' fun.
                    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Awesome. Thanks.

Comment

led night light made a couple of them to show you.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Nice. I really hope I can make it. And I hope to see plenty of goldies.

Comment

Africans only but do keep some goldies cycling my 350 gal pond out back.in the winter.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Standard or Comets?

Comment

Working...
                              X