GSP tank fresh to salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSP tank fresh to salt

Ok I have a green spotted puffer in a 30 gal tank & I was wondring how to go from fresh water to salt. Do I just add salt to his tank slowly ( ie. 1 cup/ month) or do I go full salt all at once? Do I need live rocks/sand or will my fresh water bb turn to salt? Will live rock live on brackish water or will it kill the bb? Please help.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    -Stephen Roberts

Yes, exactly. Add salt gradually, over the course of a few months if you can. If not, you can speed it up. Just make sure you have a hydrometer or refractometer. And use marine salt, too. That's the best.

As for live rock, no, you don't need it. But yes, as you gradually switch to brackish and then salt, the BB will convert as well. That's why I say do it as slowly as you can, and watch both the salinity and the other parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.)

Technically, you can have FW live rock, too, it's just not as pretty. :) So there's BW live rock, though it mostly consists of macro/microalgae, from what I've seen.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
    X